Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Help for a newbie

I built a motor bike for my son for Christmas – an OCC Chopper and it was a “fun” project. At times, a frustrating fun, but fun none the less. He loves it and rides around the subdivision. Now, I am thinking of building one for me.
But, and there is always a but… I have some questions around what to buy. With what my sons bike ended up costing me, my wife will shoot me if I spend too much money. Especially considering I have not remodeled her bathroom yet 
Also, I am a big guy. Lets call me 275 lbs and about 6’4” I was trying to sell the bike idea to my wife as a means of getting in shape, but the whole motor thing is kind blowing it for me 
Anyway, 2 main questions…
1) I am looking at the 26” Mens Schwinn Point Beach Cruise Bike (www(dot)walmart(dot)com/ip/Schwinn-Point-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/5585804) From Walmart. Its aluminum frame is light and Shimano rear. Any concerns?
2) I am wanting a manic mechanic sprocket adapter. And, I am thinking upper 40’s or even low 50’s on the sprocket due to my weight and size. I did get on my sons OCC – a funny sight, I am sure – and rode around the block a few times and it did ok with a 41T sprocket. I am OK sacrificing speed. I don’t need to do 35 to 45. 25 would be OK I would think. But, I want to know what the experts think… Suggestions?

Great community and great service!! In all my searching before and while building my sons bike, this is the best site I have found!! Thanks!

Last edited by rsatchell; 02-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Help for a newbie

Welcome- cruisers usually work well with these engine kits. If you want some power, you could get an expansion pipe($65) from sickbikeparts dot com- it adds a lot of power and it's supported by most people who use it. The cheapest engine I've seen that I would buy is a $109 basic 2-stroke 66/80cc kit from bikeberry. Also, if you want more power and still keep speed, you could get a shift kit from sickbikeparts($150-210-250) that allows you to use your bike's dérailleur to shift gears to give the engine the best of both worlds. Have fun remodeling the bathroom!
Last night, I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, and I thought to myself, "Where in the world is the ceiling?"

66/80cc Stinger on a Black Huffy.
6-speed shifter kit pulling a trailer.
Everything stock(so far)