Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default rain concern

Is there anything that needs to be done to the HF motor itself or to any of the other componentry (throtle, shut off, ect...) to protect it from the rain?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: rain concern

I'd keep the choke on, not really necessary, but would you rather have a hole the size of your thumb stay open or one a pen barely fits through. Also squeeze some silicon into where your wires enter you engine, that keeps moisture out of you magneto. Other that that everything else should be fine wet. Remember to keep oil on your chain!
The Black Horse Flyer

Darren Scott Lewis
Tad Bit Tipsy Productions
Film, Television, & Entertainment
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I'll be commuting on mine daily rain or shine once I get all the kinks ironed out, so for me this is something I am concerned with since I live in the Pacific NorthWET!

For starters I have used electrical tape over all the connections that have covers/sleeves over them, you could also use dielectric grease on them then wrap them up. I'm also going to us my glue gun to cover the connectors on my kill switch back side. I've also had issues with my speedometer going belly up on a few long rides in the rain. Since I'm adding a tach and hour meter for the motor I decided to make a "dashboard" to mount all my stuff on and then I"ll just make a clear Plexiglas cover on a hinge so I can flip the kill switch with ease and this will keep the majority of the rain off.

Best of luck!
Brian in Everett, WA
BMW R1100RT, bunch of Hondas, Schwinn Sierra w/80-66 (Screamin Ninja Urban Assault Bike ;-) Iron Butt Association
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I've been in any number of serious storms with mine and beyond the usual woes of shoes filled w/water and the general drowned rat look I've had no problems at all. I've not done any more to my bike than what Sign Guy mentioned (shrinkwrap for covers/sleeves).

I'd double check the air fliter assembly - I do have a remote airbox now so it just can't suck water, but I didn't seem to have a prob with the stock one *shrug*

k - so I like splashin' puddles...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

i haven't ridden in the rain at all, but i read about moto-x's sealing up where the throttle cable goes into the carb with a rubber boot or electrical tape or something, because water tends to trickle down the cable and get into the carb.

dunno if anyone's had that problem, but it's a quick and easy thing to do, just in case.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

As stated above, seal the electronics areas well... (& get some full cruiser fenders!!)
For motorized bicycle sales, service & engine kits in Los Angeles, please visit us at-

Follow VMB on facebook>>>

Follow VMB on Instagram>>>