Newbie In Tucson

GoldenMotor.com

Valentine Desdinova

Dec 22, 2009
Tucson
Greetings All,
I've been developing a bug for antique bicycles, motorized bikes, and other motor-assisted vehicles for a few months now. Pricing bikes and motor kits has been my first step, researching the local regulations is my current obsession. Once I get my first bike built and get used to playing with the motor, I want to start building 'art' bikes. Looking forawrd to many great conversations!

V.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
AZ laws are pretty lenient, allowing a max of 48cc and 20 mph before license and tag are required.

shokahoka

May 13, 2011
Tucson
I am planning on buying a 26" Schwinn trike ... now the question is how do I get a motor put on it? If anyone on here can help me please write to [email protected] I can't afford to pay a lot, but this is SO important to me!!

Di

Three years, one month, one week, four days, 18 hours, 40 minutes
34103 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,410.33.
Life saved: 16 weeks, 6 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes.

ShawnfromTucson

May 15, 2011
Tucson
I have been riding around since 2007 on a non motorized bicycle always thinking of adding one. I have watched countless efforts of regulation and the way Mb have been treated here in Tucson. TPD law differs from state law and I recently had a friend lose his bike while on Pima and Wilmot area. He was pulled over by cycle cop who said he was doing 22, he was informed that the speed limit in bicycle lane was 19 mph, and now he was considered a moped, a list of all infractions, No lic (suspened d lic) no horn, no lights, no reg + more all totaling $2000 as well as automatic impound, no warning, he had a Huffy 3 months first time being pulled over. I regularly see the touring riders cruising by on Pima at least at 25 MPH. Is it about safety? money? I am still thinking about it. I was told there are 200 or more Mb at G's towing from impound ,I called and they told me they are sold to Phoenix buyer. I also have suspended lic and I don't want any more tickets

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey Shawn Welcome to the forum...

Yes, TPD impounds hundreds of MAB's in Tucson every year and they go to a junk yard in phoenix.

According to the TPD and City Council they do not impound MAB's...Yeah right!

Once you do 20mph you are a motorcycle even though mopeds have a speed limit of 25mph? So they will not ticket you as a moped but a motorcycle..extremely unfair!. They dont like us and use every little loop hole they can.

If you obey the traffic laws and the 19mph or less they cannot touch you. Unless you run into Officer Jeff Couch. He is a real Nazi when it comes to Motor assisted bicycles.

shokahoka

May 13, 2011
Tucson
I strongly believe there are constitutional issues involved here. The laws are being unequally enforced. My roommate was rear ended by a car at a red light. The driver, who was obviously living in her car, had no driver's license and no insurance; but, the cop let her drive away. Compare that to the story above. In addition I have been informed by a motorcycle cop that a Harley Davidson doing 19 mph in the bike lane is legal. When you factor in the issue of TPD officers are using their personal opinion rather than the letter of the law it is obvious that this law is prime for abuse; I have yet to even hear of an officer getting out of a car to enforce this law they are universally, or near so, on motorcycles (if anyone wants to discuss the phallic nature of a motorcycle and the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality just let me know and I'll send my email address).
If you know an attorney willing to take on a class action suit this is one just waiting to be filed.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If your buddy goes to court, point out to the judge that mopeds only require a $10 moped plate and have a speed limit of 25mph. They do not require title or insurance and drivers license. But if you do 20mph on a motor assisted bicycle. Somehow it jumps from being a motor assisted bicycle skipping the moped requirements to a motorcycle which requires registration,insurance, MC license ect.

If you do over 25mph, then yes, they should ticket you for being a motorcycle cause now you have gone over the 25mph moped speed limit.

Also, tell the judge, NO where is there a 19mph speed limit posted anywhere in a bicycle lane. Push the city to put up speed limit sighs for bicycle lanes...real fast the speed limit will be forgotten when they have to spend $$$

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was mistaken with the moped law, the only difference between a moped and motorcycle is any drivers license may be used, and no title is needed.

Moped – A bicycle –human-powered vehicle (with pedals)– with a 50 cc or less helper motor, 1.5 hp or less braking power and rated at maximum top speed of 25 mph (on a flat surface with less than a one per cent grade).

Any class of driver license can be used to operate a moped.

A moped must be registered, but a vehicle title is not issued. Emissions testing is not required. Vehicle liability insurance is required.
So if you get caught speeding on a motorized assisted bicycle, they should not issue a ticket for no tittle (unless you go over 25mph).

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
So if you get caught speeding on a motorized assisted bicycle, they should not issue a ticket for no tittle (unless you go over 25mph).
Well toss that out as well cause AZ DMV says a motorcycle is anything that can over 20mph. But it does say a motorcycle is a vehicle manufactured to go over 20mph. Our Motorized Bicycle are home built, not manufactured? I dont know, need a lawyer to understand all of it.