shaft drive

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If I was going to build shaft drive, I would use a small flat/opposed aircraft motor so that it would look like a BMW.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The concept is interesting however I would be skeptical of the shaft drive you picture here. It is designed for a pedal powered bicycle and the gears, bearings and shaft might not be up to the task of delivering power from a motor. Keep us posted if you try this. A successful shaft driven bike would eliminate a lot of problems associated with the drive chain/sprockets, tensioner, etc. It's old technology, been around a long time and it could be made to work. Use your imagination and good luck.

Tom

I was thinking on this subject the other day... as I began pouring over the forums, looking for anything on using Carbon Fiber... I've found nothing, but I digress; Shaft driven stretch cruiser frame, motorized... I was thinking a lengthened shaft from an old Honda (or other brand) ATC. I had the ES 200 (Big Red) when it first came out... was on leave from the Army, and decided to buy one, to ride around with friends, while on vacation. It was great fun, and the bike was eventually sold, for lack of use (yeah, I bought a $2000+ bike, for a month's vacation, and never rode it again!). That transmission was smooth, and strong... imagine that on a strong bike frame?

The carbon fiber? Still working on it; anyone made one yet? I'm putting the info together, it's going to be a cross between a Dyno Roadster, and a Board Track Racer... or maybe I'll make a clone of that Czech bike; Cola Jinac Cruiser... any thoughts?

Ciao! drn2 (My Jack Russell, rides on top of my gas tank, on my Honda Nighthawk!)

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I love this idea , an have tossed it around myself , just remember you may have to make everything , a scavenged shaft from a small motorcycle may not be the best choice these motors do not produce a lot of power so the rotational weight of a scavenged shaft may be too heavy ,but said shaft could be the easiest way to reverse engineer a smaller version . good luck I hope you succede!
Gary

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it will help I seen a Harley built with a snowmobile clutch setup turned sideways and run a shaft drive AWESOME! so one could use a opposed twin and a CVT that would help get the gearing right then hook it to the shaft.............Curt

The twins are up to 20hp range with two pistons so allmost double the tourq should be awesome.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Brilliant!
Someone needs to build a crank and cases to mount two HT cylinders Horizontally opposed, would it not solve balancing issues?
And would be perfect for shaft drive, give plenty of engine capacity and be cheap to work on!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Huge power/torque loss in a 90 deg power shift. That's why transverse FWD on cars is so popular/efficient.
So you would really want to only have one 90 deg shift and an inline motor.
But outboard motor shaft components sounds like a good idea, you could even have reverse!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
But if some one could build a crank and cases, for a horizontally opposed Ht twin!
With the clutch assembly to one side a little.
would want both pistons firing together, so a dual plane crank.
Then I would build with it a shaft drive!(or three!).
I recon I could do it if someone would let me into a machine shop for a while.
It couldn't be that hard.
And Iv'e been reading the foundry threads, but I'd prefer a Billet, with room around the transfer ports for flipping the barrels (and match porting to suit!).
Then 1 nice big 20 odd mm walbro, and twin expansion chambers.
Would be great in a trike!
But I'd also want one for a 'Morgan' style tadpole!
BMW R series style bikes.
Or mount it transverse (normal) with a chain in a stretched board tracker.
I know there's some clever folk out there!

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Oh and while your at it,
A nice big reed valve opening in the cases!
And a pressure plate (automotive style) clutch? with a lever arm on the otherside, to make shaft drive easier.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are cultivators with a worm gear drive using low hp motors, ratios depend on rpm and engine size. I've seen reduction ratios quoted as between 20:1 and 42:1.

Another solution is to get hold of something I only ever see advertised for sale in Australia. Hand held petrol angle grinders. They use a standard clutch assembly and a 90 degree bevel box. "All" that has to be done then is to reduce the speed of any shaft you fit to it, and find a way to turn the back wheel.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Ludwig, you took the words right out of my mouth ha ha. Reading this thread I had the same idea but why not one of the big electric grinders or even an air tool shaft and 90. I'm thinking, call around to tool repair shops and find a grinder that the motor is burnt out on and go to town. The large ones handle 5+ horsepower and take a pretty serious beating.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Why not find a shaft the correct size, then play with bevel gears. You can get different sizes and ratios. So anything you lose due to the transitions could be made up by the gears.