Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Winter riding -20 and up to -50 winterpeg

Howdy , I'm in Montana and have ridden my 2-strokes for the last 4 winters in temps as low as -20F. Choke it, pedal it,and start, usually within 100 feet. I use a 36 tooth sprocket on one bike and a 40 on the other and have had no starting or traction issues. I use studded tires on both bikes and feel comfortable going 25+mph on bullet-proof ice. Loose snow is more sketchy, especially with hidden ruts,but I have done many 5-8 mile rides in up to eight inches of fresh with no real problems. I wear my ski gear including face mask and of course goggles and stay nice and cozy. For the first time in 2 years my 4 stroke is running well constantly(gear box problems in the past not engine issues, I'm on my fourth primary gear and bell housing in a grubee stage 2 but that's another thread).The Honda does great in the cold and snow. I use studded tires and have cruised at 32 mph on ice I could see the ground through ( New England powder ha!). I feel 73% safe and hope this new drive gear makes it through the winter.Oh yeah I guess I should mention that I use a 44T on this bike and can get up to 37-38 mph on the flats on a dry road (I weigh 160 lbs.) Anyway, winter riding can be fun. Get the right clothes and tires and see what you can do.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Winter riding -20 and up to -50 winterpeg

Yea Skbd, you're right about that loose snow, it is sketchy. When I run into that stuff ,I shift all my weight to the back and take as much weight off the front end as possible. That way the bike stays straight and does not get thrown all over the place.
Here is pic. of my winter bike;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.JPG (145.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1249.JPG (103.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.JPG (134.8 KB, 30 views)