Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Illinois

Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Illinois

what laws are in Ill. has anyone any info.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by filestyle1 View Post
what laws are in Ill. has anyone any info.
I am interested in this as well, as they seem to be very gray at best. Here is a copy of an e-mail that I just sent to the IL Secretary of State. I'll let you know what (if ANYTHING) I hear back from them.

Warner

Here's a copy of my e-mail to them:

Due to the incredible gas prices lately, I have been looking into alternate transportation to work. My question pertains to the requirements for a power-assisted bicycle. I have searched high and low and have not yet found ANY specific Illinois guidelines for them. I am wanting to buy one of these but want to make sure I'm in compliance with the law before doing so. I think it was the $95 cost to fill my van that finally made me start thinking about alternate transportation. By riding my power-assisted bicycle to work each day, I would save $10 a day, get some exercise, and use less foreign-sourced fuel. Please let me know how Illinois addresses power-assisted bicycles.

Thanks much,

Warner
Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Well, even if it is legal as far as the state is concerned, I found that my own city and at least one more in my travel path has specifically banned these things. I sent the following letter to my city's mayor and all of the councilmen...let's see where it goes:

Good afternoon council members. My name is Warner Xxxxxxxxxxx and Iím a 42 year old working professional that has been a resident of Elgin for 15 years. Due to the incredible price of gasoline I have been looking into alternative forms of transportation, and thought that I had found the perfect solution in a power-assisted bicycle. My plan was to commute to and from work on the bicycle, as they routinely achieve more than 150 miles per gallon. I have found that the state of Illinois allows such vehicles to be used as long as they are under 50ccís in displacement and the operator is a licensed driver. Perfect, I thought. Each day that I rode the bike to work would save my family $10. However, when I checked the municipal code in Elgin I was shocked to see that there is an ordinance specifically banning them. I can understand the need for laws to keep kids from riding their scooters and whatnot all over town, but for a law to be in place that bans the use of something like this for a licensed adult driver just doesnít make sense. Please tell me that I have misread the ordinance or that there are plans in place to look into this further. I canít afford to keep filling my vanís gas tank at $95 a shot. I can be reached via e-mail or any time on my cell phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx
Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Can you post a copy of the Elgin law saying they are banned? I'd be interested in reading it.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy Joe View Post
Can you post a copy of the Elgin law saying they are banned? I'd be interested in reading it.
Okay, here is the first part where they define what a motor-driven cycle is, referring to State of Illinois definitions:

11.45.010: DEFINITION:

For the purpose of this chapter, "motor driven or electric cycles" are defined as any motorcycle, motor scooter, motorized pedal cycle, or motor driven skateboard with less than one hundred fifty (150) cubic centimeter piston displacement; or electric scooter, electric pedal driven cycle or electric drive skateboard; or any vehicle as defined by 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/1-145.001 or 5/1-148.2, as amended. (Ord. G81-03 ß 1, 2003)

Here are the Illinois statutes:

The Illinois Vehicle Code defines the following:

5/1-145.001 “A motor driven cycle as every motorcycle and every motor scooter with less that 150 cubic centimeter piston displacement including motorized pedalcycles.”

5/1-148.2 “A motorized pedalcycle is a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 mph or less, which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horsepower or less. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeter displacement and the power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.” An endorsement is not required for these vehicles.

And here is where they specifically prohibit them:

11.45.020: PROHIBITION:

No person shall operate motor driven or electric cycles upon any public or private street, public sidewalk, parking lot, bike path or public park. (Ord. G81-03 ß 1, 2003)

By the way, the neighboring town (Hoffman Estates) also has the same type of ordinance against them.

Warner

Last edited by warner; 06-05-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM

I can't beleive they can outlaw a motorcycle/scooter/ect based on engine size! That's not possible. What if your only mode of transportation was a "legit" Yamaha 50cc scooter like the Vino? Or a Honda Elite 80? That is a law that can't hold up in court.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM

They simply can not tell you you can't operate a legal vehicle on the street, period.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy Joe View Post
I can't beleive they can outlaw a motorcycle/scooter/ect based on engine size! That's not possible. What if your only mode of transportation was a "legit" Yamaha 50cc scooter like the Vino? Or a Honda Elite 80? That is a law that can't hold up in court.

I don't know about that. Why wouldn't it hold up in court? I was thinking the same thing though as far as the Honda Elite.....pretty restrictive law I think!

Warner
Old 06-05-2008, 03:21 PM

How can it? That's no different than saying "No person shall operate a V8 powered automobile" or "No person shall operate an automobile with an engine smaller than six cylinders".
Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Or for that matter, "No motorcycles allowed".