Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default gear ratio

hey there i want to know what the best gear ratio is to go fast...because there isnt many hills where i live so i was just wondering thanks...
Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: gear ratio

We'll need a little more information to be able to help you. What engine are you running? 2 stroke, 4 stroke? Bike (wheel) size?
The 2 stroke in-frame Chinese engines on a 26" bike will give you better top end speed with a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel. A general rule of thumb is to use a 40 to 48 tooth sprocket for most areas where there are gentle slopes to contend with. Top end speed with this sprocket will put you in the 20 to 25 mph range. Going down to a 36 tooth sprocket will reduce your hill climbing abilities but will increase your top in by a couple of mph. You might see 30 to 32 with a good, strong running engine but that depends on other factors like rider weight, tire width and softness, road surface, etc. 35 is pushing it with a stock engine and no modifications. Realistically you'll probably be in the 28 to 30 range. Hope this steers you in the right direction but is based on a 2 stroke engine. If you're using a 4 stroke you'll have to wait for one of those guys to speak up.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 11-07-2009 at 10:30 PM.