Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: High Speed Rear Blowouts

[QUOTE=lovehamr;120586]when mounting the tire on the rim, inflate it to it's max psi maybe even a little more and check around the wheel to make sure that the tireís bead is seated on the rim. Once youíve made sure of that, deflate it. As it deflates youíll hear and maybe even see the tube shift into a more natural position inside the tire. This is because when we cram it in there and inflate it, it may not be in the best position for it, but it canít get there because of the pressure. Once again make sure that the stem is centered in the valve stem hole as you inflate it to your riding pressure.

taking this quote further, After putting a little soft air in your tube BEFORE installing it in your tire and then finish putting the tire on the rim, THEN put in a little more air, THEN work the beads (the thick part that has wire or kevlar moulded into the tire) around the rim pushing with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other. The trick is that your tire is made for this and has a small line of rubber that goes around the tire just above the bead. This line is more accurate on better tires. Work the tire with your thumb and fingers and very light pressure in the tube untill the line is equal distance from the rim all the way round and the stem is of course straight up and down. NOW do the above lovehamr quote.
I use kevlar beaded tires because everything about them is the best and you never get a lumpy ride unless you skid like a dumby. I also use mr tuffys and heavy duty tubes and slime. We have these rock hard little "tumbleweed" thorns here that Im seeing around the country more and more. One will kill your ride. Now my tire can be covered with them and I just laugh like a mad scientist.
PS file a steel rim all you want, aluminum is better for your tube
Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Originally Posted by Charged-Reacter View Post
I am using a GEBE Tanaka 40cc belt drive with a expansion chamber exhaust
and a high performance carburetor and I am having trouble with rear blow outs.
I was going 35mph for about 9 miles with throotle left to spare. The tires , tire liners,
and slime tubes and wheel set are of decent quality. The trouble is at the valve stem,
either the tire and tube is slipping causing this. Does anyone else have this problem
while going at higer speeds? How can a person fix this issue? I am using about 60psi
in both tires. The front tire seems to be doing ok at these speeds. Will I have to go to
clincher style rims?
There's more than one way to skin a cat. Here's some of the ways I've managed to solve tire blowout problems:

Switch to 100psi tires and tubes and inflate them to 100 psi. Animal makes a great 100 psi slick but there are other great tires as well.

If you happen to be running a 20" wheel you can fit a !6" x 2 1/4 DOT RATED moped tire on the rim along with a moped tube-- preferably a tube that has a threaded valve stem (Of the Schrader style) that allows you to lock it down with a nut. Such tubes were common place on older motorcycles but can be hard to find these days. And they cost more to make.

If you're running a 26" wheel and have a wide enough frame you can go to your local Whizzer dealer and buy a 26" x 3" Kenda DOT RATED tire like Whizzer is putting on the new Ambassador. Cost: $55-$60 new.

A 3rd way to skin that flat cat is to go to your local hardware store and buy a rubber grommet just big enough to slide over your valve stem and drill the hole in your rim just big enough to fit the grommet. A grommet will cost less than $1.oo.

Of course, none of these or anyone else's suggestions are worth a flip if your tires and tubes aren't correctly installed and inflated.
-RecycleBill, Greensboro, North Carolina's EZM dealer
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I agree with those that say buy the best. Don't cheap out on saftey
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Get rid of the tubes, liners, & slime & try Stan's No Tubes. I have used this product back in my MTB racing days with never a flat & decreased rolling resistance...