Gooday

GoldenMotor.com

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia
Hi Bikers

Just joined and want to say that this is a great site
Built my first bike... and can't stop riding it, totally awesome.

I'll try to add a picture...

This is a 48cc auto kit with pull start
I could not fit the motor to my first bike would not fit into the V so I got this bike from the dump shop for $20 aus, and all i bought for it was a new seat and stand. It took me all weekend to fit tho ;)

Anyways see you on the highways and I’ll look forward to reading allot more posts... xct2

Regards Jo

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice bike for $20 no doubt! You got it all together in a weekend? If ya get the chance could ya post a pic of the pull start arrangement? *shrug* Just kinda curious ;)

Good to have ya here!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Cool, been kinda thinkin' bout gettin one so I can start my bike to warm up in the morning w/o havin' to pedal across the lot lol

Thanks man, any probs w/pedal clearance?

Oh and I can see what it only took ya a weekend to build yer bike - lol it looks like it's made for it!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cool, been kinda thinkin' bout gettin one so I can start my bike to warm up in the morning w/o havin' to pedal across the lot lol

Thanks man, any probs w/pedal clearance?

Oh and I can see what it only took ya a weekend to build yer bike - lol it looks like it's made for it!
I have two pull start motors, one is pull start with a manual clutch and the other is pull start with automatic clutch. I love 'em for the very reason you mention. I had another engine I bought a pull start kit for from BGF. It cams with no instructions, of course, and could have used some. There is a clearance issue with little headed screws behind where the pull start mechanism fits... on factory pull start engines the screws are different and there is no clearance problem. Right away I broke a plastic piece inside the pull start rewind setup. Got another for free from BGF and this time went to work with the dremel tool grinding down the screw heads and slotting them. Worked fine for about an hour, then the retaining nut came loose and the pull start was wrecked. If you do the conversion, take your time, make sure you have clearance and that everything is firmly attached in there. Others have done it successfully and you're more mechanical than I am, so should have success. I think it is real negligence to not supply instructions with how to make the conversion successfully photos. I did have to go with a shorter crank as there was a clearance issue. Having the pull start is also nice when you're working on the bike, have it up on a stand and want to adjust the carb, for example. (Not that there's much to adjust on these carbs.) There are times when it is very convenient. For my own rides I now want them.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Bikers

Just joined and want to say that this is a great site
Built my first bike... and can't stop riding it, totally awesome.

I'll try to add a picture...

This is a 48cc auto kit with pull start
I could not fit the motor to my first bike would not fit into the V so I got this bike from the dump shop for $20 aus, and all i bought for it was a new seat and stand. It took me all weekend to fit tho ;)

Anyways see you on the highways and I’ll look forward to reading allot more posts... xct2

Regards Jo
G'day, Mate...
Welcome to the group. There are a good many of you Aussies here. I notice in the background of your photo what looks like almost tropical vegetation. Where is Darwin and what's it like?
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks for the warnin' silverbear, I prolly woulda just bolted that sucker on there and been a touch irritated when the recoil... well didn't o_O

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia
Yes... as you may of noticed there’s no bike chain or derailers
the auto kits are allot wider than the clutch models
about 4''... 2'' for the centrifugal clutch and 2'' for the pull start.
This photo was taken after I completed the build (about 3 weeks ago) since then I have widen the crank and added the chain and derailers. Also added a free wheel on the motor side gear... to make peddling easier, but don't do much peddling any more ;)
I also added a in-line fuel filter as well (worth its weight in gold)

I took my tape measure with me when I went to the dump to make sure that I got a frame that would fit the motor... I seen reading other posts that allot of guys have trouble with clearance for the carbie, I had the same problem with my first bike that I bought from Kmart and found it easier to find a bike that I would not have to modify to much. I was originally looking for just a frame and saw this one. The guy at the shop wanted $15 for a frame and I asked him how much for the bike and he said $20
So I said I’ll take the bike for $20 thanks...

Last edited:

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia
G'day, Mate...
Welcome to the group. There are a good many of you Aussies here. I notice in the background of your photo what looks like almost tropical vegetation. Where is Darwin and what's it like?
SB
Hi yes it is tropical vegetation
Darwin is located in the Northern Territory at the top of Aus
We have about 364 days a year of bike riding weather.
even in the wet season which is just about to start it's still about 32 degrees Celsius
gotta love riding in the rain :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi yes it is tropical vegetation
Darwin is located in the Northern Territory at the top of Aus
We have about 364 days a year of bike riding weather.
even in the wet season which is just about to start it's still about 32 degrees Celsius
gotta love riding in the rain :)
Hmmm... snow here the past few days. In northeastern Minnesota, USA the locals say we have nine months of winter and three of poor sledding. Actually I have seen snow flurries in June, July and August. I'm not too sure why I live here, come to think of it. Oh yeah, the lakes. When they aren't frozen are very nice.
Sounds like the perfect place for bike riding there. I have to get used to the idea that your winter is my summer and north is warmer and not colder. Sounds like backwards land... but I think maybe we are the ones who are backwards. I like the sound of your weather. Hot in the summer, I suppose, eh? I couldn't handle Tuscan Arizona in April and had to leave for the north country. Too danged hot!
SB

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
welcome to the forum. ok im sitting here looking at a freaking blizzard and yer posting pics of tropical vegatation, whats up with that? so where is this legendary land of oz and how do i get there?

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia
Hmmm... snow here the past few days. In northeastern Minnesota, USA the locals say we have nine months of winter and three of poor sledding. Actually I have seen snow flurries in June, July and August. I'm not too sure why I live here, come to think of it. Oh yeah, the lakes. When they aren't frozen are very nice.
Sounds like the perfect place for bike riding there. I have to get used to the idea that your winter is my summer and north is warmer and not colder. Sounds like backwards land... but I think maybe we are the ones who are backwards. I like the sound of your weather. Hot in the summer, I suppose, eh? I couldn't handle Tuscan Arizona in April and had to leave for the north country. Too danged hot!
SB
Actually we don't have a summer...
We have a dry season and a wet season
and the dry season is just perfect... 32 degree days and 18 degrees minimum
The wet season gets a bit humid tho
Sounds a bit cold in your part of the world... you would have to convert your bike into a snow mobile by the sounds of it... hmmm I wonder if there is a kit for that... I'll have to have a look on the web,,, Oh and then move to Tasmania
Cheers Jo

Last edited:

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia
welcome to the forum. ok im sitting here looking at a freaking blizzard and yer posting pics of tropical vegatation, whats up with that? so where is this legendary land of oz and how do i get there?
Hi, sounds cold there
If you go off the east cost of North America and sail out into the middle of the Atlantic
and drill a whole through the planet, you would probably end up in Darwin
or you could catch a plane ;)

jemsolly

Oct 13, 2009
Darwin Australia

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Jemsolly-I was at the air port in 1963 ready to leave for OZ when the gov. paid your way, one way and after 3 years you didn't owe them the plane fare back.

Girlfriend at the time gave me a choice and boy did I make the wrong one.

In most of Canada there are 4 seasons like Silver Bear says,only we say they are June, July, August and Winter.

I'm in British Columbia and the only temperate part of Canada at least in our lower south west corner. About 70 km south of Vancouver. We are about 25 min. from the US border right on the ocean.
Here we have warm and dry summers and cold, wet winters. Can't ride because the rain freezes on the road and creates black ice. The road looks bare and dry. The car in front of you puts thier brakes on and the road shines like a mirror.

Very nice bike and as has been mentioned the back ground is very inviting.

Steve.