Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Mark your magneto if you take it out of the motor. Putting it in upside down will cause you much pain and troubles......lol
Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Tip for sbp expansion chamber! If u can't weld a cheep & good fix for the copper & sillacon tubing that melts and falls apart is use 1 inch hydraulic hose $3 dollars a foot and it's hi temp & flame resistant & its really rigid but flexible just barely! Also put a self tapping screw in each joint then put hose clamps over them. Will never fall apart again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1435043711605.jpg (169.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 AM

Another thing you can do if welding isn't an option is get some old handlebars and cut out the bends and straight sections then you can braze the sections together with a mapp torch. If the typical 7/8" bars are too small, you can usually get some used Harley bars that are 1" diameter off eBay for fairly cheap, there's a seller named dead parts on ebay that usually has used or bent bars that can be bought to harvest the bends and straight sections to braze to your pipe for a more permanent install. The hydraulic hose works because it has a steel braided core which will make it last considerably longer but it will eventually burn thru if used really close to the exhaust port, but there's also a flexible steel conduit that can be brazed to add header length and it also comes in 1" so it'll work with most pipes. Having a flexible section in the system will also prevent cracking or other premature damage.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 AM

A good tip for brazing is after your done put in the barbaque for 3-5 hours to cure your parts.
Also the hydraulic hose is working great! it smoked when I stopped for the first 2 hours of running. Now i have 22 hours on since then and is holding up real good much better than the sillacon tubing that comes with the kit. It lasted not even an hour!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 AM

had occasion to change a tire yesterday on a bike with solid inner tubes

they go on fairly easily with a bit of soapy water and run very well if one has an exact match to tire size, but are real hard to take off - I put a couple tire spoons in to lift the bead and then just cut the old tire off with a pair of dykes - made it easy
Old 07-13-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
I little tip I picked up years ago was to save the filings, and bits of metal kicked out when filing or drilling any type of metal. You can also cut up some steel wool with scissors into little small bits. When I mix up my JB Weld, I add some of this mix into it to strengthen the mix. About one third to one half of the total volume. It makes for a very solid repair, that can still be smoothed, drilled, or even drill and tap it. I've only ever used it with JB, but I imagine that it'll probably work with any epoxy compound.
Nice.. I'm gonna use that, thanks!!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

My Tip? Never attempt to ride a Motorized Bicycle further than you are prepared to push it back.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteride View Post
My Tip? Never attempt to ride a Motorized Bicycle further than you are prepared to push it back.
Or pop the masterlink, and RIDE IT.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Yeah so far I've certainly pedaled it a lot further than I've ridden it... Lol I guess I should have said "Never attempt to ride a motorized bicycle further than you're prepared to pedal it back". So far? Engine mount studs failed, pedaled it home. Ran out of fuel, pedaled it home. Antique carbide bicycle lamp came loose and went into the front wheel, carried it back. Engine stalled and locked, pedaled it back. Engine stalled and locked, pedaled it back. And so it goes... (Sigh) It's a surprising amount of exercise for a motorized vehicle.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Oh! Man you have horrible luck! I go for 50-60 mile rides with no issues. But I've learned to loctite evrey nut and bolt! And bring spare tubes & gas mix. Once you get all the bug worked out you should be fine. Goodluck!!!

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair