Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Spoke Puller

I needed to re-lace my rear wheel to correct an oversight involving the spokes overlapping the sprocket mounting holes. I was dreading it because the spokes are a little on the short side and getting the nipples to grab requires super-human strength and three hands, or....

Google "spoke puller" and you get "Did you mean SPIKE puller?"

For about $7 I put together this little number. It's a cheap mini locking plier with the pivot rivet drilled out and screwed to a bar clamp. It's not perfect, as it doesn't take into account the angle which the spoke meets the rim but it did the job.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spoke puller.jpg (170.0 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by wret; 05-05-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Good solution, Wret, clever work-around.. I'll remember it if I need it down the road.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 PM

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I haven't seen it anywhere:

If the wiring of your engine, lights, etc. has been damaged or covered, label the wires with painter's/masking tape and a sharpie. It will save a lot of guesswork when replacing or refitting them to their proper places.

(Just recommended it to a friend and fellow forum member for his singed wires, and figured some one else may need this method later.)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM

I haven't made the modification for it yet, but I just realized you can use a motorcycle chain tensioner/axle adjuster on a frame with semi-horizontal dropouts by simply facing the rear of the dropout so it's flat instead of angled. You can use an angle grinder or a hand file and grind or file until the dropout is flat, and then you can use any axle adjuster, be it motorcycle or bicycle. I happen to have a motorcycle type laying around. You can face both dropouts and use two adjusters, but I think just the drive side would be sufficient to prevent the motor from torquing the wheel to one side. I always use a wratchet wrench to tighten my axle nuts, so I don't see a concern with the pedal side coming loose.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Kickstand stabilizer / workstand tip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulgood View Post
kickstand tip:
<snip>
I got rid of my old steel kickstand (it was too short anyway) and bought an aluminum "two legger" that mounts in the same place (couldn't tell you the brand but it's shaped like an upside down "Y"). My bike store had it laying around for about 20 bucks. It weighs about the same as the old one did, maybe even less, and the bike stands up straight when parked so it takes up less space.
The best thing about it though is that it holds the back wheel just off the ground which makes it a great work stand for adjusting the drive train.
I agree. A center "two legger" does make M-B drive train servicing much easier. The kickstand I have (see: http://www.bikeberry.com/bicycles/ac...ick-stand.html) still required me to be careful to avoid upsetting the balance knocking the bike over with the wheel off for example.

After thinking about this for a while I made a "stabilizer" using some angle iron to fit the kickstand dimensions that I attached to a 4" x 4" x 2 to 3' post. This fixture captures the kickstand legs and locks them in place with cross-bolts. The post lifts the rear tire 4" and the 2+' length makes it practically impossible to accidentally bump the bike under repair knocking it over. It also allows the bike to be rotated, once on the stabilizer to put the rear wheel down and lift the front for service. It can also be used to help stabilize the bike during transport in a truck bed. In my own experience it is quick and easy to lift the rear wheel with the kick stand down and place the legs into the stabilizer.

Dimsnsions are not critical, just measure the spread of the kickstand legs and their width. If you use an elevated work table, you can set the width of the 4"x4" post to suit the table width.

I've attached some photos of it in use on my bike to help explain the stabilizer concept.

--Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5200077.JPG (209.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P5200078.JPG (197.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P5200079.JPG (194.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P5200080.JPG (191.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM

If you have a problem with dogs chasing you- eventually they get old and bored and leave you alone...if they are smart.
For those dogs not born with brains:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...ps8301c10e.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...ps0b7021ef.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...ps1c58770b.jpg
cost me 34.95 online No license required recharges in the wall socket, Excellent Flashlight, Even Better "Zap" Deterrent. Haven't had a problem with the neighbors Dog anymore. !!! He got 1 time to close to my leg and now he runs the opposite direction every time he see's me. 1 sec stun 5 minutes on the ground wondering what Mack truck just hit you. 2 second burst 5-10 minutes getting your brain back in gear, and the wetness from between your legs. 3 second burst, paralyzed . Any more then that you can melt the tips off it.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM

pedaling a paper route in the 50s, I found a water pistol full of turpentine worked well and at a greater distance
Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Boy View Post

If the wiring of your engine, lights, etc. has been damaged or covered, label the wires with painter's/masking tape and a sharpie. It will save a lot of guesswork when replacing or refitting them to their proper places.

(Just recommended it to a friend and fellow forum member for his singed wires, and figured some one else may need this method later.)
Defo a good tip! If careful, you can "roll" the tape around the wire, labeled with a fine point sharpie & it's tidy enough it'll slip under the shrink wrap/conduit/housing & last a very long time, protected from the dirt, chafe & the elements;

...which comes in dang handy if you ever find yourself here again lol;

Another wiring lifesaver that's not as commonly found as it could be is what's called a "third hand/helping hand" tool to aid proper soldering: http://www.amazon.com/SE-MZ101B-Help...dp/B000RB38X8/

...if you've not got one, get one (or make one ofc) - trust me it'll be one of the best $10 ya ever spent lol
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Boy View Post

you can also get little stick on tabs in the electrical dept. at home centers,come in a little booklet numbers or letters, a hole bunch for little or nothing...................Curt
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM

http://www.oldengine.org/members/mur...20Handbook.pdf

This pdf I found has a great amount of information on Briggs Engines.

I've been looking to find information on valve tappet to bottom of valve clearance specification. Chapter 4 on compression has what I needed.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair