Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
When I'm putting my quick release wheels back on, I line everything up and snug up the axle nut/qr lever until it will just barely close by hand. Then I open it up, give the axle nut another half turn or so and swing the lever over. At this point, I need to slide the box end of my 14MM wrench over the lever and use it to swing the lever to the locked position. It takes a lot more effort to pull a wheel off that way (and I have no worries about ever having a wheel coming off trying to make it on it's own).
That's good advice. but it's more for going into the store or some other place and not having to worry about someone loosening your wheels. like I said most people don't carry wire cutters. And it's hard as f to unwind a tightly wound paper clip with bare fingers.

Last edited by slayer60973; 12-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer60973 View Post
That's good advice. but it's more for going into the store or some other place and not having to worry about someone loosening your wheels.
You're welcome to try and loosen one of my wheels by hand if you want to.

A hose clamp wrapped around the fork/chainstay holding the lever down can also make it a right pain in the derriere for someone to loosen things.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
You're welcome to try and loosen one of my wheels by hand if you want to.

A hose clamp wrapped around the fork/chainstay holding the lever down can also make it a right pain in the derriere for someone to loosen things.
Vancouver's a long ways from here, I'll take a raincheck. Lol, agreed on the hose clamps.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM

These look pretty good too, It takes an allen wrench and a box wrench to lock/ unlock them.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...-qr-skewer-set
There are all sorts of non QR conversion skewers out there.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
These look pretty good too, It takes an allen wrench and a box wrench to lock/ unlock them.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...-qr-skewer-set
There are all sorts of non QR conversion skewers out there.
Huh, never knew those were available. I've had bad luck with Allen wrenches though. Might just pick up some in the future. Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Could internal to the hub be a breaker contact that opens when undoing the lever. Then a field collapse on the hidden high voltage coil that sets up a potential differential between frame (ground) and the lever being undone. Trouble is that the wrong person might be handling it.

There could be like wheel lug key for the special wrench and then even a thief with allen-wrenches might give up.

I have saved from an old vehicle the key and 4 lugs. I think I'll try my MIG out on them as they are steel and then who can steal?

MT

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 12-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 AM

Way too much thinking on this. replace the quick release with solid axles and Just lock up your bike. That's my suggestion on the topic for what it's worth.

Last edited by allen standley; 12-13-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: A little more thought.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM

OK, yea.... a cable or chain that can go around immovable object and through the frame and both wheels.

MT
Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM

An Oreo sound real good right about now
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM

how to make a vertical recoil pull starter, so that the pull cord is at 90 degrees, so you can start the bike while in motion and coming to a hill, this you cant do on the normal system, yes it is better if you turn the recoil housing one screw hole forward but it cuts the cord, i use steel cable on mine. SO take off the starter, draw round it on a piece of cardboard ie cereal carton. mark the holes ect, now move the starter on the cardboard round till it is the vertical postion, ie handle pull at the top. now draw round it again making an allowance for the new lugs, mark the holes again, cut it out, as a template, offer it up the the engine to check it is correct, now find a bit of ally sheet about 1/8 in thick, on nylon or plastic sheet, and make the adapter plate, then fix the stater two it, and you have a new perfect position starter, i will tell you how to fasten the steel cable to the pulley, with a simple nipple trick no one has thought of.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair