Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Chain Yanker

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

That's specifically what liquid wrench is made for, and whatever your preference may be of lubing, Just spray it right into the feeders.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Okay.
I'll use chain lube or oil.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Be sure to upgrade both the pedal and engine chains at the same time. I suggest using bmx chain for the pedal side, and reinforced 410-415 depending on your kit. Both chains can break
Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Liquid wrench and W-D 40 type products are not meant for lubricating anything really, you'd be better off applying some 3 in 1 oil than liquid wrench, that stuff wont last around the block for a chain lube, it does have it's uses but not as a chain lube on a motorized bike, I ride in very dusty conditions and I do not oil my chains period..... I do coat them with a dry chain lube that sprays on as a liquid, penetrates all the moving parts of the chain and then dries leaving a slick Teflon coating on all the parts I then apply some Maxima Chain Wax, my chains hold up well even though they are covered with dust always, oil attracts every kind of dust and dirt around and will cause the chain to be all caked up and nasty.

pics show what I use and I have yet to wear out a chain or have one break on me on three bikes and the oldest was built in 2009 and has 2000+ miles on it now.

A high-performance, O-ring safe chain lubricant, DuPont™ Teflon® Chain-Saver Lubricant utilizes a patented formulation, so it resists dirt or will not fling off the chain. It can help chains and sprockets last up to five times longer.

Peace, Map
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Dunno if this has been done before but as I learned today: When you take hardware out, CLEAN IT UP. AND RE-LOCTITE IT.

Just do it, save yourself the trouble on the side of the road when something falls off or you lose your clutch.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM

I lube my chains on the beast when they start getting a little noisy. Often what I do is roll up a piece of paper towel, fold it over and use the 'open' ends a bit like a mop-brush. Dip in a bit of oil, and then swab the chain. I turn the wheel to move the chain until I can get it all wet, then rotate a few more times to work the oil in.

On my cruiser I haven't had to lube the chain yet, but it soaked for a while (okay, 3 weeks I think) in a mix of "Phil's Tenacious Oil" and some stuff a neighbour gave me that (he said) they used to add to old differentials to keep them moving smoothly called "Microlon Compound 90" before I installed it. Around 2 oz. of each (half bottle of each). I just rolled the chain into a spiral to fit the bottom of an old plastic food keeper tub, poured them in on top and left it (with the lid on) where the sun would hit it in the afternoons. Also, I hung it from a hook for a day or two to let as much of the surplus drip off and back into the tub before putting it on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain soak mix.jpg (142.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Chain draining.jpg (139.3 KB, 23 views)

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...031#post507031 this is a good cheap and perfect fit for a bucking bar..
Old 10-09-2013, 12:36 PM

The other day I was heading home from work so I pedaled down the hillo let the clutch and bang the next thing I see is my idle bushing passing me doing about 20 mph , I guess the bearing seized up because the race was left on the clamp and bears were stern about the road so after pondering on what to do and almost accepting defeat I was about to field cut my chain to limp her home when all of a sudden in my bag of possibles I see a socket and that shiny chunk of metal was like an island in the middle of an ocean The god like "AHHHHH" sound went off in my head and I used that 3/8" drive 3/4" socket to limp me home the chain slid nicely over the socket I had a couple over i sided washers I put on either side and used a bolt it didn't spin but at that point I didn't care Work enough to get me home
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM

^Sucks to hear that but good job on rigging a fix!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Simple tip that will save you a lot of hassle. The clutch cable spring (the smaller one, not the heat shield), just toss it and install without the cable. Will save you plenty of hassle. Also, use some WD40 on the cable innards.

Another tip, get a double brake lever and connect both front and back brakes to it. That way you engage both brakes with the same lever, leaving more real estate on the other end of the handlebar.

Cheers....

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair