Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

I can never keep much grease on my clutch gears. I know the main problem is most automotive greases don't have much tackifier in them. Especially racing greases like I've using! So, what am going to do is get some tackifier for my Amsoil racing grease OR use some aluminum boat type grease....less flingage of grease to get on clutch and better lubing of gears.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Re: take a tip...leave a tip GRIP REMOVAL

I was reading Seattle Mike's thread with stinky gas 'n grip and it hit me I hadn't posted this tip that works great for me:

To remove stuck handle bar grips, use compressed air and a THIN silicone spray lube with a straw nozzle. I have a long pointy snout air pizzer. (Required)

First blast some air in, lift the grip on the interior side and let some air rip. Then spray some silicone lube in the same spot. Repeat both of these as you work the grip off.

Wash the grip and wipe the bar before reinstall.

Don't use a petroleum based lube or you'll have a smelly mess.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I can never keep much grease on my clutch gears. I know the main problem is most automotive greases don't have much tackifier in them. Especially racing greases like I've using! So, what am going to do is get some tackifier for my Amsoil racing grease OR use some aluminum boat type grease....less flingage of grease to get on clutch and better lubing of gears.

I have two types of grease tackifier on the way. I'm tired of my grease glob not staying on the gears.

Has anyone tried boat trailer axle grease?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

a little soapy water will get the grips off as well and no stink. My favorite grip is the cheap foam grips cuts out the vibs. I worked as an oiler years ago and we had a special black nasty grease to put on the gear that swung the cranes house on it didn't come off the gears and didn't come off of me if I got the stuff on me but i don't know the name of it. I have been using a dab of red grease #2 I think heck i can't remember and too lazy to take the grease gun apart. here is a tip for your grease gun keep your old blue jeans pant leg for the guns holster cut off the leg and store the gun in the pant leg keeps the gun clean and you can either throw the leg away or wash it to reuse when it gets nasty.
Norman
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have two types of grease tackifier on the way. I'm tired of my grease glob not staying on the gears.

Has anyone tried boat trailer axle grease?
I have not used boat trailer grease. But I do use Mystik JT-G, they dont call it mystik for nothing. In fact I use so much I buy it by the bucket. I have had great luck with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (93.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM
minor bike philosopher

i use plain ole axle grease for everything that needs more than penetrating oil lol.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

That's a bucket of grease alright!!

I got my tackifier - man it's great. Good combination. Just a TINY amount mix it like crazy - good grease made super sticky!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's a bucket of grease alright!!

I got my tackifier - man it's great. Good combination. Just a TINY amount mix it like crazy - good grease made super sticky!

It's time for a new bucket to. But I would like to know more about your grease tackifier, it's new to me. Is it some kind of resin? Can you use it with synthetic grease? Is it only for grease or will it work with other applications?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 AM

It's a liquid - very "stringy" - some synthetic polymer, maybe similar to a liquid resin. The problem is that it is not a lubricant itself, so it must be used sparingly - like less that 1%. That's why I got it (a buddy in the industry) - and exactly why I got it was to mix with high speed synthetic grease (which is made for closed bearings in wheels and such). It worked MUCH better in the clutch case.
Here's a small batch mixed:
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I also done this acc cable mod. works sweet. I also run a shimano grip shift for the clutch to get rid of
the left side clutch lever and let me run left,right,front rear, breaks( dont like the dual pull items not enough control for me)

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair