Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

What do you mean these hts cant go 40 mph? I have mine running at 43, 32 tooth sprocket, msd plug wire and thats it for mods. Oh, and she still gets outstanding gas mileage. 4$ per week. But, those speeds require alot of tuning and preventative maintenance.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Figured I would leave a couple basic tips since I'm sure ill be taking a few once I read through 50+ pages of ideas plus the ones I've already used from other sections of the forum for my first kit build.

Tip #1 should be common sense but just incase: lock up your bike through the frame and the front spokes, if you only lock up the wheel its easy to remove and easy to replace, if you only lock up your frame then just hope some1 needing new wheels and tires for the bike they just stole doesn't come by with a crescent wrench.
Tip #2: Power to weight ratio really does effect performance and maybe more than you realize, I've been told that in race cars every 10lbs. lost is like adding 1hp, with these kits and working on a much smaller scale weight and hp wise the change in performance could be more or less noticable, I highly doubt that the less than 3hp engine could be comparable to a 10hp motor if I dropped 100lbs but who knows? 3 hp with 150lb kid on it vs a 10 hp with a 250lb kid on it with all other factors remaining constant (gearing, fuel mix, aero dynamics) who would win? I guess the bottom line is we could all lose 10lbs and its not gonna hurt nothin lol
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Tip #2: Power to weight ratio really does effect performance and maybe more than you realize, I've been told that in race cars every 10lbs. lost is like adding 1hp, with these kits and working on a much smaller scale weight and hp wise the change in performance could be more or less noticable, I highly doubt that the less than 3hp engine could be comparable to a 10hp motor if I dropped 100lbs but who knows? 3 hp with 150lb kid on it vs a 10 hp with a 250lb kid on it with all other factors remaining constant (gearing, fuel mix, aero dynamics) who would win? I guess the bottom line is we could all lose 10lbs and its not gonna hurt nothin lol[/QUOTE]

I did notice one thing while trucking I got the same fuel economy or very close to it even when fully loaded because the same weight that holds you back going uphill pushes you even faster downhill. Now this is if you let it fly downhill which I did LOL. I remember going thru some mountains 85 MPH downhill and 15 uphill.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM

For anyone considering using a sprocket attached to the l/h end of a disc brake hub, I found there are dished minimoto sprockets, which would offset a large sprocket away from the frame tube on a mountain bike, and that would make fitting a bit easier.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you are using a coaster brake, pedal forward after braking to release the brake completely for no drag and/or wearing out parts sooner.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

what is the reasoning for zip tieng the spoke connections ?and the carb tuneing im not sure where mine should be im in hollywood fla near the beachand its on the 3rd from the botton with 5 all togeteher ?and does anyone suggest what to do if the engine is running extremly hott very quickly i do run a ngk plug
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Gutter Rider

Using zip ties at spoke intersections is an attempt to make the wheel a bit firmer. It may, or may not be effective.
I have seen it done a lot on offroad dirtbikes, though I have never done it myself.

If you feel your motor is running very hot it could be running lean, from too small a jet size.
What does your plug color look like?

...and there are so many variables beyond that... :-)
Best to read a buncha threads here.

Good luck
rc
Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

If a spoke breaks it can get hooked up and cause damage. Less chance of it flailing around.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRide Customs View Post
The best thing I have found is slipping rubber pieces between the cylinder fins. You will be blown away by the dramatic change in engine noise...it's unbelievable!!! Put them every where you can that does not restrict air flow.

Great pictures! Great tip! Im going to have to borrow that from you!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31 View Post
If you are using a coaster brake, pedal forward after braking to release the brake completely for no drag and/or wearing out parts sooner.
To get a lower gear ratio for pedal starting and better coaster brake performance swap out the common 18T rear sprocket with a 19T for $5, easy to do and a game changer on single speed coaster brake bikes.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair