Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Instead of mounting my camera on the handlebars, I mounted it atop a 2" angle bracket onto the right side of the bike, near the head.

I hate it when the camera pans around wherever the handlebars point. Mounting the camera on the frame will prevent that. I had to tiewrap the brake cables outa the way of the camera lens.

Fearing that the camera would work loose during the ride, I looped its handle/string around the downtube. It's easy enough to remove the camera when parking the bike.

In bad weather, I'll wrap a ziplock bag around the camera. I should still be able to shoot the video in the rain.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I bet thats gonna be way smooth video. Keeping posted.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 AM

Default Extra tire protection!

My nearly-new tire tube ripped @ the valve. It was the heavy-duty thick one. I felt bad just throwing it away. Instead, I cut out the valve and slit the tube all the way around on the inside. Then I wrapped the defective tube around the new tube and reinstalled it onto the rear wheel.

Extra protection!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Extra tire protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
My nearly-new tire tube ripped @ the valve. It was the heavy-duty thick one. I felt bad just throwing it away. Instead, I cut out the valve and slit the tube all the way around on the inside. Then I wrapped the defective tube around the new tube and reinstalled it onto the rear wheel.

Extra protection!
Thats a Grrreat Idea!

Thanks for sharing!

The same exact thing happened to me with the other valve - Presta.

(I probably messed it up on my own as I didnt know you needed an adapter for a rim with a Schrader Valve hole opening.)

Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post

Extra protection!
I tried that set-up with my new tube and tire, but I couldn't get it to settle properly between the tube and tire. I changed to using it as a liner between the tube and the tread of the tire. I'm hoping to reduce the puncture problems I'm plagued with, so the debris now has to go through a new kevlar lined tire, 2-3 thicknesses of old tube and then the new self-sealing tube. I'm pretty sure the pressure variations I have now are all due to the overnight temp hitting freezing with the days not much warmer.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
I tried that set-up with my new tube and tire, but I couldn't get it to settle properly between the tube and tire. I changed to using it as a liner between the tube and the tread of the tire. I'm hoping to reduce the puncture problems I'm plagued with, so the debris now has to go through a new kevlar lined tire, 2-3 thicknesses of old tube and then the new self-sealing tube. I'm pretty sure the pressure variations I have now are all due to the overnight temp hitting freezing with the days not much warmer.
The old tube slipped around the new one like a glove.

If it hadn't, I would've pumped up the tube a bit. Then I'd slip the old tube over it, wrapped electrician's tape around it every 12", then installed the new tube.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
You could try pumping up the tube a bit, wrap the old one around like a glove, then secure with electrician's tape. Then install new tube.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Unsure if I mentioned this before.

When I was running friction drive, I modified my two rear support struts.

Every vendor offering friction drive allowed their engine and drive housing to rise maybe 3 inches when the quick-release was loosened. Good enough to disengage the friction roller.

Engine motor mount bolts were always a pain to get access to, even when the roller was raised 3 inches. Sometimes, I wish I could raise the drive housing high, maybe 12" or more.

What I did was simply cut off the tops of the support struts. When the quick-release was loosened, it allowed the drive housing rise rise off its struts. The housing was almost perpendicular to the ground.

This allowed EXCELLENT access to motor mount bolts, even to the front pivot nuts and bolts!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 PM

I adjust the carb on my Tanaka 47R engine quite often.

When I changed tire diameter, I adjusted the carb.

When I swapped from 50:1 two-stroke oil to Opti-2 100:1 ratio, I adjusted my carb. When I inadvertently put the wrong mix in, I adjusted the carb.

I USED to carry a screwdriver in my pants pocket to adjust my carb. I ALWAYS worry about jabbing myself, if I fall off my bike.

So now, I adjust my carb's "L" and "H" settings with the fingernail on my forefinger.

It's much safer, and hey, it works!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM

I came up with this idea because my wife got tired of using her beautifully manicured fingers as a truing gauge as a way for me to true my rims . Tools needed
1.) Channel locks
2.) Vise grips
3.) Table "you don't really care about"
4.) Old bike frame
5.) your spoke tightener

I gently spin the rim when it hits I make minor adjustments and before you know it , the rim doesn't hit the channel locks any more. I personally like to take the rubber off the inner rim part and use a screw driver to tighten / loosen spokes . It really worked nicely. It isn't 100% perfect but then again what is?

Last edited by Jumpa; 01-28-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: it's 420 got a min?

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair