Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterputtBAM View Post
I cant see the dual pull as feasable, too tedious an adjustment to get the right pull front and rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Some love dual brake levers, some hate them. I have them installed in a couple of bikes, and am happy with them. Setting them up is no harder than setting up a single lever. Mine are fine tuned to stop the back wheel first....
Actually, this would be part of the problem I have with "dual pull" brake levers as most have a rocker for the cable ends, which makes them "self adjusting" in that both cables are pulled equally - unless you've one so far out as to limit it's travel, as could be a hazard with dual pull levers lacking the rocker and may result in one brake not having it's maximum potential.

Regardless of which type dual pull lever, fixed or rocker type - you're splitting the force applied to one lever to two brakes, which either doubles the force required or halves the stopping ability, depending on how you view it. A minor point if you've strong hands and/or excellent brakes, but a point nonetheless.

While a viable option, TBH I see them as mostly a cosmetic preference - I've both a build with a dual pull brake lever and one without... and despite the "clean" look and simplicity of a dual pull, I doubt greatly I'll get another, while not "dangerous" it just seems... lacking. I've never personally had any difficulty whatsoever with having an "extra" lever on the bars and really appreciate the precision control & stopping power of separate, independent brake levers on any two wheeled vehicle... I also tend to use my front brake almost exclusively (weather/conditions permitting) as it's responsible for nearly 80% of the stopping power with a two wheeled vehicle.

*shrug* to each their own I figure

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 10-30-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Yes, the ones I have installed pull a rocker. I haven't personally found it any harder to pull the dual brake over a single, but that could be just me. I made the tuning adjustment at the brake caliper itself front and back with the brake pad positition adjustment set-ups. I went with the first one mainly due to lack of space on my handlebars. My wife asked for the second one on hers to make it less confusing and make it easier on her hands (she's still healing from a broken hand from a door prize).

To each thier own, I agree completely. That's where we digressed from, as I recall.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 AM

So for the last few days it has been raining here in Southern California and today was rather chilly. I realized that the head doubles as a hand warmer if you have gloves on. It works great at red lights and is really helpful.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 AM

Speaking of rain - always a good investment to get a front fender and to silicone seal the wire outlet from the mag. Poor chinese design causes water from the front tire to shoot directly at it, so be sure to inspect it when you do your tune ups!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96gcKODYJY
Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienboy366 View Post
So for the last few days it has been raining here in Southern California and today was rather chilly. I realized that the head doubles as a hand warmer if you have gloves on. It works great at red lights and is really helpful.
My expansion pipe runs high on my center-framed Tanaka engine. It acts as a glove warmer too.

It's way too hot to be a leg-warmer; I've got blisters on both thighs to prove it, lol.

So now I always ride with long pants. My pipe is a pants-warmer.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Default Chain Tensioner Fix

I've read that quite a few Happy Time chain tensioners end up in the spokes, often with disastrous effects.

To prevent this from happening again, simply bolt a 1/4" X 1" X 12"(or so) flat plate onto the tensioner wheel's axle. Then secure both ends to the chainstay/seat stay dropout.

Your Happy Time tensioner will NEVER move out of position again.

I just fabbed a chain tensioner out of a used, slightly grooved ($5) skateboard wheel, ($1)5" of 1/4" X 1" steel plate, ($2)11lb. spring and a($1.59) small turnbuckle. The buckle adjusts spring tension. The wheel has a high-performance ABEC bearing. Even though it's capable of running much higher, the gear ratio keeps the tensioner spinning at less than 600rpm.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 PM

pictures would be nice...
Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM

When changing from 26 x 1.95 to 26 x 2.35 tires, their diameters raises from 26" to 27". This dropped the bike's effective overall gear ratios 4%, changing my bike to a dog. To compensate for this, I swapped my 30t bicycle chainring to 24t, lowering my overall gear ratio 25%!

Now the bike charges over the steep ramps at work. I could shift to second gear if I wanted to. I MIGHT have lost top speed. I don't think so, because eighth gear lowered from 12:1 to a more effective 15:1.

First gear is 46.32:1, and second gear is lower than the original first gear. The bike rips @ low speed!

With shift kits, gear ratios have to be much lower than other engine drive systems. Pedal-assist w/shift kits is very weak.

I also noted that the bike rolls MUCH farther with taller tires.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 PM

With shift kits, gear ratios have to be much lower than other engine drive systems. Pedal-assist w/shift kits is very weak.

What do you mean by very weak? Is pedaling with a shift kit difficult? Is there a lot of resistance? I still pedal often with my MB.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM

With engine idling, pedalling is fine. Once the engine applies power in any gear, pedal-assisting seems like phantom pedalling. There is very little resistance(and assistance) in every gear. If you downshift, the engine pulls harder, but pedal-assist is weak. If you upshift to assist in hillclimbing, pedal-assist is slightly better, but engine assist is weak.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair