Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1219 View Post
Problem:

When i pedal and pop the clutch to start the engine, the back wheel doesn't lock up like it use to. like, when i move the bike slowly with the clutch lever pulled in, the back wheel moves freely, but when i let go(the back wheel USE to lock up(im guessing thats proper working condition cause that always worked for me)) the wheel will semi-lock up but will still spin rather easy. i think it has something to do with the clutch, i've tried re-adjusting the clutch cable and arm but to no avail. If no-one can help me with this, im prolly gonna end up scrappin my engine out
Big bir here is an awesome video explaining what gearnut just told you to check also NEVER EVER scrap an engine any one of on here will first try to help you out an keep your interest in the hobby an if then you still decide it isn't for you one of us will gladly buy your motor Here is the video
how to fix a sliping cluch on your 80/66cc bike engine kit - YouTube
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1219 View Post
Problem:

When i pedal and pop the clutch to start the engine, the back wheel doesn't lock up like it use to. like, when i move the bike slowly with the clutch lever pulled in, the back wheel moves freely, but when i let go(the back wheel USE to lock up(im guessing thats proper working condition cause that always worked for me)) the wheel will semi-lock up but will still spin rather easy. i think it has something to do with the clutch, i've tried re-adjusting the clutch cable and arm but to no avail. If no-one can help me with this, im prolly gonna end up scrappin my engine out
How many miles on the motor Big Bird? I'm so glad I stuck with my bike at first when I bought it it was giving me every problem you could think of but being the stubborn Rick I am hehe"

I stuck it out an am now reaping the benefits of my perseverance my motor is running so good right now the other day top speed was 28.7 mph Well I swapped my head around so the plug hole is now in the rear I'm not sure what else i i but the thing runs soo good now hit a top speed of 34.2 mph I must have fixed something else by doing that because I cant see how swapping the head 180 degrees would affect it that much.

Last edited by Jumpa; 10-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

thanks guys, i'll take a look at the video and see what i can do. the engine is fairly new, only put about 2 gallons of gas through it over about a 2 month time so i'd have to say 175-250 miles. one of the head bolts stripped out, so i went through the process of helicoiling the base thread. after i put the kit together the clutch just didn't want to cooperate. a buddy that was helping said that "a piece of a piston ring fell off"? i just got this info yesterday, he didn't bother to tell me at the time. could that have anything to do with my problem?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM

A broken piston ring will have no effect what so ever on the clutch operation.
However, it will have a negative effect on the engine's performance, especially if the broken piece is still inside the engine. The piston rings are responsible for sealing the piston to the cylinder. If one is missing the compression will be reduced and some of the pressure developed during the combustion cycle will escape past the only remaining ring and result in a loss of power. If a partial ring is left installed on the piston it can rotate around in the piston ring groove of the piston and one of the ends of the ring can get hung up on a cylinder port, doing serious damage to the piston and cylinder. The missing piece, if left inside the engine to float around in the flywheel compartment, can destroy the piston and cylinder as it could eventually work itself up through the transfer ports and get caught between the piston and cylinder. Also it can get trapped in between the flywheels and engine case and chew up all parts involved. Any metal bits ground up in the process can also ruin the crankshaft bearings.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 10-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Had some questions on chains and got a lot of help. During my search for answers this table explained alot. Thought I'd share.

Motorcycle Primary and Secondary Drive Chains Explained
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM

chopper frame bottom frame rail is paper thin.
when welding it (cracked) use a stitch pattern with a pulsing trigger on the wire feed....seems to be holding...of course the weld is probably stronger then the frame itself

Last edited by Wm Holden; 10-25-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

For all of the motorcycles that I own, and I have many, the front wheel brake lever is on the right handle grip with the throttle. On my Huffy Stone Mountain bicycle, the front wheel brake lever is on the left handle grip, with the clutch lever for the little bicycle engine. I moved this cable to the right-hand lever and removed the left-hand brake lever as I do not have a rear brake caliper-it was gone from the bike when it was given to me. I find the front wheel brake to be more than efficent and makes clutching so much easier! This way, when holding the bicycle on a grade or otherwise, it is just natural for me to use the front wheel brake.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM

I left a tip but they complained it wasn't enough.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I'm more accustomed to the bicycle layout, left side = front brake. A friend of mine flipped over the bars attempting to pull clutch. First time I felt bad, but twice??? I still felt it but sheez. I dont have a cure for stupidity. I cant see the dual pull as feasable, too tedious an adjustment to get the right pull front and rear.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterputtBAM View Post
I cant see the dual pull as feasable, too tedious an adjustment to get the right pull front and rear.
Some love dual brake levers, some hate them. I have them installed in a couple of bikes, and am happy with them. Setting them up is no harder than setting up a single lever. Mine are fine tuned to stop the back wheel first. Under full pressure on the lever the back wheel won't turn and the front just barely will when pushing down and forward on the handlebars. It only takes a few minutes to get them set right. (And it beats getting smacked in the face by the road ).

Which ever way you go, just check and see if you have to work with a minimum stopping distance for a motorized bicycle/scooter/whatever in your area. The 66cc motor is in the grey areas of the laws quite often, but where I live I have to be able to stop on a powered bicycle in 9m from 30 KPH (30 feet from 18MPH).

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair