Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Wink re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
I mounted my GP460 engine in a position where the canister-type air cleaner points straight up. I'm thinking any prankster can pass by and pour a whole can of soda into the slots, thereby destroying my engine. Until I could devise a permanent solution, I simply placed an empty 7-ounce tuna can atop the air cleaner when I parked it.

Last night I figured out how to make a permanent fix. First, I marked where the 4.25"(diameter) tuna can's edge was, on the 3.875"(diameter) air cleaner-canister. Then I added another .25" Next, I unscrewed the air cleaner canister and drilled 27 holes into it with a 3/8" drill bit, above the marked line. Before I screwed the tuna can "bonnet" on, I placed a .25" spacer between the tuna can and the canister. This will allow the canister to breathe through its the original top vents as well as the new 27 holes.

Now no one can pour stuff into my aircleaner, ANNNNND the engine breathes more freely with 27 more vent holes. Sorry, no pics, but it looks pretty cool.

Actual cost...zero.
This is how it looks without the tuna can:

I'll be back in a bit......going to the store to get some tuna.....
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy respect.....you have to earn it"
==================================================
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Ha ha! Eat your lunch, then recycle!

Hey scotto, can you place the tuna can onto your filter and take a picture of your engine again?

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 09-12-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Searching for a fuel container to carry 18 oz in my caged bottle holder, I found this:

Spare Fuel bottle 530ml for S9 stove - eBay (item 180549657533 end time Sep-18-10 09:09:53 PDT)

Ya can't beat the price! The competitor's cost was $17.95 each, but you had to buy two to get free shipping. I paid $5.95 each, which included free shipping!

The containers arrived in 7 days. They fit tight enough in the holder to scrape its paint off.

To keep pranksters from stealing this bottle or contaminating the fuel, use a plastic tie-wrap to secure the cap to the seat tube.

Loop the tie-wrap several times from cap to tube. When it's time to remove the fuel bottle, snip the tie-wrap close to its latch. That way, you can re-use the tie several times.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 09-12-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I have a new Robin Subaru 1.6 HP 4 cycle engine. How many miles should I go b4 running at full throttle (break-in) without damaging engine? Also, I'd like to ride 50+ miles per trip (carrying my own gas). Would that damage the engine? Is there a max miles or time that the engine can be run continously without damage?
Any info would be helpful!

Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31 View Post
I took a tip, but did not leave one. Whats my punishment?
You are hereby to live in the desert of your choice.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

ok so anyone that has some seepage from their gas cap when it is close to full, when at high revs or getting low taking corners

puch moped gas cap does a far better job of sealing but if you ride it like you stole it and
take corners like a supermoto star it will still seep but a very minuet amount.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:58 PM

For you GP460 engine owners, the OEM clutch retails for $54. Then you have to change the 8000rpm engagement springs, which cost $15.

davesmotors.com sells pocket bike clutch with a tapered shaft and keyway. These fit the 460 engine perfectly, and engages softly, right off idle. My older 460's crankshaft has the keyway, but its original clutch doesn't. Use the $9 pocketbike clutch, grind down the 460 special retaining crank nut/washer and use the 460 flywheel key for the clutch key.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.3821/.f

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1355/.f

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 09-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
........ but it has to include "J-B WELD" HAAA!!!
JB Weld is awesome. I've done all kinds of repairs with it, not just motorized bicycle related. I made the tooling surface of a mold using it, repaired a leaky pipe, fixed broken light fixture. The claims on the package are about how I've used it.

As for using on a MB, so far I fixed a broken hand grip, broken clutch handlebar gripper thing, the throttle cable at the grip, and JB'd two washers together and wedged under the front mount plate. It doesnt stick to smooth surfaces for long which can be a bonus if you might want to remove it one day. If you want it to stick, think rough but clean surfaces. It's just epoxy with some added ummph, so use it accordingly.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Here's a hard learned tip: If you find that you need to turn the idle screw all the way in or close to all the way in, you have an air leak. Get it off the road asap! and find/fix it, or you'll cook the piston and destroy it, and the jug.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Question re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasian View Post
Here's a hard learned tip: If you find that you need to turn the idle screw all the way in or close to all the way in, you have an air leak. Get it off the road asap! and find/fix it, or you'll cook the piston and destroy it, and the jug.
In most cases where are the most obvious places on the motor to search for these air leakes ?

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair