Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

I work in the printing industry (newspapers etc.) and am using old 'blankets' as cushions everywhere something bolts to the frame. They seem to really cut down on vibrations. They are basically rubber sheets backed with canvas so they are quite durable. You could probably go to the local print shop (minuteman etc.) and ask if they have any used "blankets" I have pretty much an endless supply so if anyone has trouble finding them I would be willing to send them out if you pay the postage. I can't imagine an 8.5 x 11 sheet would cost more than a buck or 2 to mail. Or if you know a pressman you should be set. Feel free to email me impressions_1@comcast.net
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I work in the printing industry (newspapers etc.) and am using old 'blankets' as cushions everywhere something bolts to the frame. They seem to really cut down on vibrations. They are basically rubber sheets backed with canvas so they are quite durable. You could probably go to the local print shop (minuteman etc.) and ask if they have any used "blankets" I have pretty much an endless supply so if anyone has trouble finding them I would be willing to send them out if you pay the postage. I can't imagine an 8.5 x 11 sheet would cost more than a buck or 2 to mail. Or if you know a pressman you should be set. Feel free to email me impressions_1@comcast.net
That's a good tip, Evan. In a similar spirit of using what's available and works, I make my own moccasins and mukluks out of elk hide. I use scraps as pads wherever something bolts to the frame. Part of my motivation is that I just finished painting an old Elgin bike and want to protect it. So, I cut the pieces to size and then use a bit of contact cement to glue the leather onto the part... not on the frame itself but the part, including engine mounts. This works very well, protects the paintand no doubt helps a bit with vibration and noise.
SB
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
That's a good tip, Evan. In a similar spirit of using what's available and works, I make my own moccasins and mukluks out of elk hide. I use scraps as pads wherever something bolts to the frame. Part of my motivation is that I just finished painting an old Elgin bike and want to protect it. So, I cut the pieces to size and then use a bit of contact cement to glue the leather onto the part... not on the frame itself but the part, including engine mounts. This works very well, protects the paintand no doubt helps a bit with vibration and noise.
SB
Good one.......and yours has the added benefit of keeping your girl warm!
Evan
Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

another good anti-rattle fix for fenders, chainguard clamps, and whatever else clamps to the frame, is heat shrink tubing.

here's a pic of my fender strut with a piece of 1/2" shrinked to it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colson done 007.jpg (412.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-27-2009, 02:26 PM

thats a cool tip Bairdco !!!
thanks

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
www.ezmotorbike.com
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
azgrampa@gmail.com

Last edited by azbill; 12-27-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spel chek
Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
another good anti-rattle fix for fenders, chainguard clamps, and whatever else clamps to the frame, is heat shrink tubing.

here's a pic of my fender strut with a piece of 1/2" shrinked to it:
Woah, why didn't I think of that.....better than duct tape even. Nice one.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default take a tip...leave a tip

I like Trailblazerpetes Idea, my cut cable is frayed and looks like crap...Thank You Pete

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
minor bike philosopher

Okay now I haven't left a tip in a long time because this is all so techie, and I'm just not very techie. However I have been experimenting with different kinds of tool pouches ect. Today I was looking around for something to hold my tools, when I spotted a very cheap pair of gloves. I have two bikes there are two gloves in a set. It just sounded about right to me.

I bought a pair of orange knit gloves. Probably cotton I don't know. But they were big enough to fit a 15mm wrench down into one of the fingers and a roll of tape into the palm. All in all it seems to be a pretty good solution. They had the knit cuff so I just tied it up with a bow and tossed it in the basket of the bike, but I think it would be just as easy to roll it up and tie it to the frame somewhere.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 PM

I use pencil pouches. You can find em at the dollar store sometimes and they fit enough for roadside stuff. If you have a basket on the bike you could carry a couple. they probably wouldn't keep your hands warm too though
Old 01-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

o.k so i really want a bicycle with a motor and im a newbie so i have some Questions for the people who commented

1. do u have to pedal before starting the engine can u just turn it on then ride off?
2.Where can u find all black drag slick bicycle tires
3.Where can u find a all black 80 cc engine for under $150.00
4.I want nos so how many cc's of boost should i get under 150cc?

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair