Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Not enough density...foam rubber won't work hardly at all, latex foam from a model shop is better, but still about useless. I filled one bikes frame tubes with the spray can foam insulation, which hwelped but not too much, once again, not dense enough.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: take a tip...leave a tip...or a bunch of 'em

[QUOTE=Bikeguy Joe;560]
Make sure your brakes are up to par. Stuff hurts more @ 35MPH than it does @ 10MPH, especially if it stops you before your brakes do.

Ride defensively, because the only drivers that will see you are the ones you DON'T want to see you- aka "da fuzz".
QUOTE]

I can say that is right on the money. I was hit by some one that did not see me. Lots of improvements since, like a helmet. First a regular bike helmet then a non-DOT motorcycle one. I have had no problems with the cops though.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Well, I do not have a motor...yet. I found this site and wanted to check a few things out first. Most of the motors it see only have a 30 day warranty...do these motors only last a short while? I don't want to buy something for only a few months of use.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

No they will last a long time I have one that's 1 year old and I treat it like the red headed step child. all the rest are real close to a year old and all are running in good shape actually faster and better than when new one bike scares me to go wide open on 40 mph is too fast on a bicycle when I think about the bearing etc that the bike has and it makes me think this is going to hurt crashing on pavement at 30 to 35 mph. I hate road rash but it would look strange to wear leathers on a bicycle at least I think it would.
Don't sweat the 30 day warranty they will brake at 31 days out if they are going to. If you tear it up we can help and if you can't tear it up we still can help you to tear it up. These bike engine kits are fun makes you feel like a kid again so the price is money well spent. I have a neighbor who is 82 and took a ride on my bikes the fast one scared the h3ll out of him but now he wants one and is building one.
Norman
Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Consider investing in GOOD tires... I use Continental Town & Country - they are used by police bike partol units the world over. Expensive - maybe - but can be had on eBay for about $50 for a pair - how much is your skin worth?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Time to leave my first tip...

I was searching for a NGK B7HS plug and found that you're better off going to a Marine shop for them rather than a Auto shop. Here in Perth WA they come as a twin pack and only cost me $AU8.00
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Hicksy's Tip No 2

If you put greasy hands on your clutch plate, it will slip... (found out the hard way yesterday)

Solution - get some 120 grit sand paper and scuff up the plate and the fibres, worked a dream as I didn't have any other cleaning products...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Dish washing liquid will work in a pinch.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Bouncing BB's are hard to find, so guess what,
(not sure you know this one), But if you are going to work in around ball bearings, take a large piece of an old sheet and spread it out on the floor before you get started !!

You will some day be thanking me !

When those ball bearings get away from you, there darn hard to find !

Do not use magnets, they collect metal and can adhere to ball bearings, Thank Norman !

Thanks Norman !

Last edited by Wheel Rush; 07-30-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Taking out bad stuff like the magnetic partical collector
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

making a ball bearing magnetic can be the wrong thing to do as small metal particles will stick to the bearing balls making them rough or out of round that is not good, bearing will go south real quickly when they have extra friends in there playing with them in the grease.
Ok I'm off the soap box.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair