Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

6 volt lights for motorized bicycles

Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default 6 volt lights for motorized bicycles

I have been reading about the white wire on the mag for lights hav'nt tryed it but found a 6 volt genenerator that mounts in the engine. I got it from Wonderful Creations off of ebay. I also found a 6 volt rectafier regulator off ebay. I hav'nt installed these yet but will send updates when I do. The mini-gen was $42 with shiping the reg and wire harness was $40 and the sla batt was a little over $30. I bought a bullet light set to run. I am currently gutting the headlight and instaling a 6 volt led light that I had hanging around and will use the eng kill switch as the light switch since I you a toggle on the ground side of cdi as a kill switch I hope when it's done it will look sharp and bright. and hope to post some pics of the finished project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03068a.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	14114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03072a.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	14115  
Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default re: 6 volt lights for motorized bicycles

Sounds like a great idea. I've been thinking about doing something like that myself. I just ordered the same generator the other day and hope to hook it up to some sort of battery pack that then connects to a switch then to a lighting system. I'm not too great with electronics but yea, something I hope to accomplish.

When it is done, let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I'm curious to know know what kind of performance you get from the light and the engine. I've been contemplating buying a huge rechargeable flood light to mount on my bike.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

When you install it push a lead wire through the front of the grommet into the eng. Then solder it to the gen. wire than pull trough. It's the easyest way to get the wire trough. You need to have a rectifier regulator to have it hooked to a bat. because it produces 6 volt A.C.
The engine is not effected since the gen is only using the magnet in the eng.I run L.E.D.s so it's what it is. will post pics soon .
Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Aquari,
I've been useing 6v sla batt on my ride for quite some time. I can get 7-8 hrs. with no recharge system. Right now I just recharge over night. Guess that I should recharge(trickle 250ma.) from the w-wire. using a diode and current limiting resistor. However it's pretty easy just to plug in when I put it away.
I use a 7-1/2V 300 ma. bulb in a fog light housing. I also have a 56 led light mounted in case I should loose the primary light from vibration(haven't yet 5Mos.). I also have brake and t-signals hooked up to the batt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	15864  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Search in this forum 500 lumen light under $10..

It works great and it has a lot of power...

Thats what I dream about

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarianmonkey View Post
I have been reading about the white wire on the mag for lights hav'nt tryed it but found a 6 volt genenerator that mounts in the engine. I got it from Wonderful Creations off of ebay. I also found a 6 volt rectafier regulator off ebay. I hav'nt installed these yet but will send updates when I do. The mini-gen was $42 with shiping the reg and wire harness was $40 and the sla batt was a little over $30. I bought a bullet light set to run. I am currently gutting the headlight and instaling a 6 volt led light that I had hanging around and will use the eng kill switch as the light switch since I you a toggle on the ground side of cdi as a kill switch I hope when it's done it will look sharp and bright. and hope to post some pics of the finished project.
I'm curious how you plan to use the kill switch for a light switch. The kill button is a normally open momentary switch. That means when you push the button it closes the circuit for as long as you hold the button but opens it when released. Not what you want for a light switch. A single throw, single pole toggle would be a better choice.
Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Aquari,
I've been useing 6v sla batt on my ride for quite some time. I can get 7-8 hrs. with no recharge system. Right now I just recharge over night. Guess that I should recharge(trickle 250ma.) from the w-wire. using a diode and current limiting resistor. However it's pretty easy just to plug in when I put it away.
I use a 7-1/2V 300 ma. bulb in a fog light housing. I also have a 56 led light mounted in case I should loose the primary light from vibration(haven't yet 5Mos.). I also have brake and t-signals hooked up to the batt.
it'd be great to see a wiring diagram/parts list for this lighting system you've got, particularly one wired with that diode and current limiting resistor. I think that's something we could all use here in Michigan, as all motorized vehicles here apparently have to have turn signals and brake lights..
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Momentum,
I wired my system on the fly and didn't make a sketch. However I will draw one up and send it to you.

I am working on a new design that I think will be the ultimate lighting, turn and brake system.
Of course keeping it simple and cheap to build is always my goal.
The only good thing good about winter is: Time to tinker around!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM

6 Volt lighting circuit. In the drawing you will see "Headlight", this is a incandesant center light. That is only used under special conditions(rain,snow or other national emergency).
The LED lights are 21 Leds each. Their are four of these, two on the front h-bars, near the grips and two outboard on the rear. The front ones run all 21 leds and bilnk off for turns(I use them both daytime and night).
The rear lights use 9 of the 21 leds for running lights that blink off for turns. The remaining 13 leds function as brake lights.
The 21 Led light units (4) cost $4 ea. including shipping.
The brake sw is mounted on the dual brake lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentummotorgroup View Post
it'd be great to see a wiring diagram/parts list for this lighting system you've got, particularly one wired with that diode and current limiting resistor. I think that's something we could all use here in Michigan, as all motorized vehicles here apparently have to have turn signals and brake lights..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RELAY CIRCUIT 005.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	19386