fuel question

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey did you read my mind last night...the compression is definately not high enough...but it would self lubricate....you know...a new head, take away that restricting carb... fix the read valves...it might have enough running compression...but youd still have to start off

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Ever see a diesel with a carb? Diesel wont vapororize like gas does with the venturi effect, thats why diesels have injector pumps and injectors.

Last edited:

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
To all who replied; This is why I posted that question. You all woke up a slumbering corner of my brain. Higher compression, injectors,
cold start issues, etc. I'm thinking now of changing my moniker to
senileolphart. (that played **** with spell checker;</ ) I should've thought of that, but, apparently I was suffering from "brain fart". Too bad, as; I kind of miss the smell of diesel in the morning.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well - I can sure as **** see the attraction! Lower RPM, gobs of torque, and far better fuel efficiency... Seems as if a diesel would be far better suited for this application than the average 2 stroke.

This was a common theme with ultralight aviation too, a diesel is far better for spinnin' a prop than the almost mandatory two stroke for all the above reasons. There were some noises about power/weight ratio but mostly the problem was the same as with our bikes...

They're simply not readily available in this country :(

While pretty common in Europe (particularly England) we never found a company there that would ship one to us. I haven't looked specifically for a diesel appropriate for our bike's needs - I'm sure they exist somewhere, in the correct size/HP anyway but prolly not set up to bolt in the frame lol

If anyone hears of something that might work - defo gimmie a shout ;)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
With this new low sulphur diesel fuel thats required diesels are alot more friendly to city folks, a diesel motor will out last a gas motor by 3 to 1 in my opinion. Audis and MB have diesels that rock, VW too.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
WOW! The multitude of replies (I GUESS) justifies my question after all!!
Bandito just brought up a VERY GOOD POINT! DURABILITY!!
(diesels being known for going 300K or more before a rebuild)
I'm thinking; It's time for all us "geniuses" to come up with either
an adaptation or suitable (again; adaptable) diesel for our 2 wheeled wonders!

(Rob) er (senileOlPhart)