Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Weed Wacker Engine Bicycle

Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Weed Wacker Engine Bicycle

hi, i had this old weed wacker laying around so i decided im gonna put it on my bike and have a motorized bike. so everythings set, i have the bike, the engines rdy to be installed but i have a few questions. im gonna do a gear ratio of 18.75 like i hear most ppl but how do i do that? i kno its with sprockets and stuff and the amount of teeth on them but how do i get the proper gear ratio? i kno i sound stupid but i rly dont kno that much and wanna learn. plz help thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Weed Wacker Engine Bicycle

The other day i was riding around town....stopped for a smoke and a kid pulled up on his weedwhacker bike...it was absolutely a zero dollar build....a juckyard bike...a peice of plywood for a rear rack that he bolted the motor to with a gastank from other yard tool tied behind the motor....he had a small sprocket attached to the motor and a larger sprocket somhow attached to the wheel....he removed the crank and bolted a 2x4 for a footrest....im positive he dident count any teeth on the sprockets.....but the thing was he took a good look at my bike and said....bummer ya gotta peddle to start that thing.....then he pulled the rope pull and took off like a shot.....it was a beautiful thing....i was proud of the kid from my town.......Moral to the story.....just build it man!!!! wish i got a pic of this guys ride.... good luck.....j
Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay sawdust View Post
The other day i was riding around town....stopped for a smoke and a kid pulled up on his weedwhacker bike...it was absolutely a zero dollar build....a juckyard bike...a peice of plywood for a rear rack that he bolted the motor to with a gastank from other yard tool tied behind the motor....he had a small sprocket attached to the motor and a larger sprocket somhow attached to the wheel....he removed the crank and bolted a 2x4 for a footrest....im positive he dident count any teeth on the sprockets.....but the thing was he took a good look at my bike and said....bummer ya gotta peddle to start that thing.....then he pulled the rope pull and took off like a shot.....it was a beautiful thing....i was proud of the kid from my town.......Moral to the story.....just build it man!!!! wish i got a pic of this guys ride.... good luck.....j
That's why I carry my camera on my belt everywhere I go.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

lessons learned through trial and error are the most valueble lessons to learn

untill you make the same mistake twice
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

hi. i just finished building my own motorized bike. i haven't even gotten to make a post about it. I used a 27cc weedeater engine that i mounted in the frame of my 26" mountain bike. I had previously had it set up as a friction drive. I decided that i didn't want to pedal anymore so my bike only uses engine power. I have it set up with a 23 to 1 gear ratio and i kept the centrifugal clutch. i weigh about 200lbs. the bike does pull me from dead stop but it is slow to take off. so far i've had it about 15mph(no speedo just estimate). i haven't had enough time to get it out and try to go faster. it doesn't like to pull up a hill on a take off but with pedal assist you should be good to go. just give it a try. most likely you'll get frustrated while building it but just take your time and do it right. oh one more thing have fun.