Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default 49cc and 30mph seems to be the law in Texas

Texas Department of Public Safety
Certified Mopeds
(Revised March 18, 2009)
Information contained herein supersedes information contained in all Certified Moped lists, whether published as
special announcements, attachments to special announcements, or supplements to special announcements.
The attached list of mopeds has been certified by the Department of Public Safety as meeting the Texas legal
definition of a moped according to TRC �541.201(8). That is, it cannot attain a speed more than 30 miles per
hour, has a piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and does not require the operator to shift gears.
This is not a complete list of all mopeds, rather a list of mopeds brought to our attention for classification review.
In instances where a motorized cycle is not on the list yet meets the above requirements, an affidavit must be
completed by either the local dealer or manufacturer to verify requirements; dealer or manufacturer websites can
be not used to verify information. The �Affidavit to Verify Requirements for Moped Classification� can be found on
our website. Any two-wheeled vehicles that do not meet these requirements must be registered as a motorcycle.
Please note the revision date on this list and keep this list until superseded by a new list with a later revision date
Old 09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: 49cc and 30mph seems to be the law in Texas

While they allow 30MPH and 50cc, it doesn't look to me as though you can put an engine on your bike and be approved as a motor assisted bike. Neither the kit manufacture nor the cycle manufacture can certify the capabilities of the finished product? Offered a carrot and received a cowpie.

Thought about why TX would allow 30 MPH when we and the national law only go to 20? Then it struck me, I have dirven across Texas and even 100 is not fast enough. 8O} = Truly there are a lot of beautiful places in TX. It just seems when you have such a big state, there are bound to be some average places. (Am I forgiven?)

Jim

Last edited by jimraysr; 09-05-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM

cowpies make excellent fertilizer...I gotta wonder what the ticket Barnie Fyfe would give ya would cost?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Update...talked to state troopers and they said if it is motorized it has to be tagged and inspected and ya need a license although no insurance company will insure you...go figure.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

So if no insurance company will insure you then what do you do? I'm about to motorize my bike and I want to be able to ride it legally in College Station. So much confusion :/
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Best I can tell electric is legal gas is not...man that would really be bad if they gave you a no insurance ticket for a bicycle. I would kill the engine if I saw a cop maybe even have something to throw over the tank N engine as well. I would not go much over 15-20 if you go 30 be hard not to be noticed. I just need a ride to work and that's if and when I find a ride. It is only until I can afford a car which should not take long. There must be a ton of moto-bikes in Austin as I see ads for builders there.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I think I will do everything I can- title, registration and possibly a M class license. I just need it to get to class and ride around town.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Jury's still out on this one grey area 4 sure:

Neighborhood Electric Vehicle and Motor Assisted Scooter Information

The 78th Legislature addressed the issue of new transportation technology. The law now recognizes motor assisted scooters and neighborhood electric vehicles for limited street usage. The law can be found in the Texas Transportation Code (TRC) as Subchapter D, Sections 551.301 and 551.302. Subchapter D became effective on September 1, 2003.

The 79th Legislature amended the law to separate neighborhood electric vehicles from motor assisted scooters. Section 551.302 was repealed and the content became Subchapter E, Motor Assisted Scooter, TRC 551.351. The information below is still an accurate summary of the laws as amended.

In general, any traffic law which applies to bicycles also applies to motor assisted scooters. That means the operator must obey the usual traffic laws that bicycle operators must obey such as speed limit, signal turns, etc. (TRC 551.101(a)). However, TRC 551.351 states that some laws that apply to a motor vehicle do not apply to these scooters. This means that:

* the scooter operator doesn't need a driver license,
* the scooter operator doesn't need liability insurance,
* the scooter doesn't have to be registered or have a license plate,
* the scooter doesn't have to carry a low speed vehicle emblem; and,
* the scooter doesn't have to be inspected.

Cities and counties may prohibit operation of these scooters on particular streets or highways for safety reasons, as can the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT).

Along with the "motor assisted scooter," the Legislature legalized the "neighborhood electric vehicle." The "neighborhood electric vehicle" is any vehicle subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 500. They generally resemble a golf cart, but are larger-usually capable of carrying four passengers-with a top speed between 20 M.P.H. and 25 M.P.H. Vehicles such as the John Deere Gator and Kawasaki Mule are not neighborhood electric vehicles because they are not subject to Federal Standard 500 in that they are designed to primarily carry cargo rather than passengers. Like the motor assisted scooter, neighborhood electric vehicles can be driven on any street or highway with a posted speed limit of 35 M.P.H. or less, and may cross streets or highways with a higher posted speed limit. However, unlike the motor assisted scooter, a neighborhood electric vehicle must be registered and have a license plate. The operator must have a driver license and the vehicle or operator must be covered with the required liability insurance or acceptable substitute. In addition, these vehicles meet the TRC Section 547.001 definition of a "slow moving vehicle," and must carry a low speed vehicle emblem. Finally, as with the motor assisted scooter, a city or county may prohibit their operation on a street or highway for safety reasons, as can TXDOT.

The content of HB 1596 can be found at the Texas Legislature website.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I think I should be okay as long as I follow traffic laws and don't use the motor on campus. I spoke with the owner of Soul Coast Fixies in town and it is legal as long as you follow some precautions.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I remember the days of pushing my dirt bike to the train track or just killing engine when we saw any car, then coasting.
So is that what most people do, just kill engine, always look like your pedaling, after all I want some exercise.
How loud are they and do they smoke? I have not yet bought kit because I don't have a bike that will work yet and not sure which one to get but know less than 50cc just to be safe on the law.