Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default new hobby

hi everyone, i am a new member, just got my 70 cc kit, last week, installed on my grandfathers 1959 schwinn . i love it, made a small trailer, to make trips to the store. i am allready looking to add a better air filter, & spark plug.i do have a little black residue leaking from my exhaust, & breather, is this normal? is there a way to prevent this condition?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
minor bike philosopher

Default Re: new hobby

Hi there and welcome.

Does the bike seem to run okay? I have never had the leak through the breather so I can't help but others have so someone should be along to help soon
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

yes the motor seems to run ok, i thought it might have something to do with break in mix.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
minor bike philosopher

I remember mine smoking a lot and the smoke leaving a black spot on the drive and I hear about two strokes on weedwackers clogging the exhaust with carbon from the smoke, but I never had the liquid but I have heard others tell of it.

When you put your bike together did you seal up the carb to manifold connection. It might be running rich and unburned gasoline causing the liquid goo. Is your needle set at the second notch from the top. that seems to be about the normal for these engines.

the only liquid that could be running out the exhaust seems to me to be unburned gasoline. Your engine should be running rough and have poor pickup if that were the case though.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
minor bike philosopher

I knew I had read this somewhere http://motorbicycling.com/f3/exhaust...-gook-620.html

looks as though it is normal unless it is at the gasket rather than the bottom of the pipe.... if it is leaking anywhere else you might have a problem.. i think you said it was leaking at the breather too.

I don't remember the break in mix doing more than smoking more.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Looks like Deacon got you fixed up on the leaking from the exhaust thing. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here...............

Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeehorse View Post
hi everyone, i am a new member, just got my 70 cc kit, last week, installed on my grandfathers 1959 schwinn . i love it, made a small trailer, to make trips to the store. i am allready looking to add a better air filter, & spark plug.i do have a little black residue leaking from my exhaust, & breather, is this normal? is there a way to prevent this condition?
Mix your next tank at 24:1, use a good synthetic.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

i think my choke disc may have been loose on the shaft, leaving it partly closed, when in the open position. i fixed the disc by squeezing the sides where the shaft goes through the disc. i noticed my plug was a kinda black, but dismissed it as rich break in mix. maybe this will fix my black goop problem. also had a stud break off from the back engine mount. i made one with a long shaft pegboard hanger, and a 6 mm x 1.0 die. so made a few more for spares. i could,nt find any metric allthread, so had to make due. what is the best material for bolts to cut studs from? hard, soft, what is the best to withstand the vibration from the motor?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Get some M6X1.0 threaded rod at Lowe's, Home Depot or TSC.