Brand New Kit - Clutch Squealing

GoldenMotor.com

eng86

Jul 28, 2009
Michigan
I just installed a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk on my bike. I've got about 6-8 miles on the kit and ever since I first ran it, it sounds like the clutch is squealing. When I'm cruising down the road and disengage the clutch (pull the clutch lever in) with the motor running, the squealing stops, so I don't think its the wheel bearings or engine itself. Does anyone know, is there something I could oil or grease to stop this? You wouldn't put any lubrication on the actual clutch plates if its a dry clutch right? Thanks for the help!

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
These engines all have some sort of squealing noise from the clutch area. It is normal. You can use some grease on the 2 gears under the cover. Only use a dab of grease, not to much or the clutch could start to slip. I used the red grease. My bike also has the same type of noise that stops when you pull the clutch lever in. Yes, it is a dry clutch, so don't put grease on the clutch plates.

eng86

Jul 28, 2009
Michigan
OK that makes me feel better! I actually did put some grease on the two gears earlier and it seemed to help a little bit. I also read in the manual that you can adjust the clutch plate by turning the little plastic adjustment nut under the clutch cover. That seemed to help at first, but then the squealing came back again. I'll have to monkey with it a little more. Thanks for the help!

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
theres a clutch pin that squeals when its dry and needs to be lubed now and then with grease. its inside the small sprocket wheel, take the clutch lever cover off, pin out, wipe clean and coat it with grease. careful theres a ball bearing that sits behind the pin, make sure it stays in there. if it falls out just clean it and pop it back in. that should stop the squealing for a long time..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Grease the ball and the short rod( under the clutch/front sprocket cover)that will stop the squealing on the bike.
Norman

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
From a similar experience, I would check the engine chain rubbing against the side of the upper motor mount. Even if you have a small gap between these two, the shaking and tightening of the chain while moving will cause it to rub against the upper mount bracket or bolt.

This is probably because the motor is mounted slightly too far right causing that bolt to angle left and chain to pull in towards the engine. I used bolt cutters to cut the all-thread back and left mine to squeel, file down or break the chain. See, If i mount too far left the right bottom mount bolt will cut out flush against the head when rubbing against the inside of the bottom mount bracket. Additionally, the outside edge of the left bolt hole and bolt will saw out and break evenly from vibration. the bolt and bracket are all aftermarket parts, And the dax bottom mount bracket advertised as "will Never Break"

So, to avoid the engine popping out using the upper motor-mount as a pivot; which will break your cdi, lock the back wheel, bend your chain and make you rework the bottom bracket and drill out the broken bolts

LEAVE SPACE BETWEEN THE BOTTOM LEFT MOUNTING BOLT AND BOLT HOLE... SPACE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOLE THEN TIGHTEN DOWN THE UPPER MOUNT SO IT DOESNT PIVOT> thats the side that the back gear and motor chain are on.

The motor also pivots from the center of upper mount that causes alot of change left and right on the upper engine but less change on the bottom. The bottom brackets bolts would be loose to allow them to angle left and right. Bottom bracket might pivot here too.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Norm and Sydney hit the nail on the head. It has happend on half dozen of the bikes I did and fixed it every time. Apparently there's some confusion over the words "squealing" vs "screaming".

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I also read in the manual that you can adjust the clutch plate by turning the little plastic adjustment nut under the clutch cover. That seemed to help at first, but then the squealing came back again. I'll have to monkey with it a little more. Thanks for the help!
Read my signature.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
The screeching really lets us know the gearbox internals are shredding away if it goes on long enough.. ouch!
I'm not sure that's really true. I got one bike that screams away for thousands of miles but has never been greased. I think they welded the cover screws in. :) Still going strong though.

Unlike 4 stroke gearboxes that have a tendency to self destruct no matter what you do.

Hdmelo

Oct 2, 2013
Florida
My bike stated squeeling too.. When I pedal up to speed and let the clutch go there's just a high pitches noise and the back wheel locks up and doesn't start. What's wrong anybody know? Thanks