Chain tensioner On Pedal Chain

GoldenMotor.com

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Howdy all,

I don't like using the chain tensioner. They are one more thing to align and fail. So on my builds I shorten the motor chain and adjust the rear wheel to tighten the chain.... just like on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, there are some set-ups where, no matter what I do, either the pedal or motor chain is saggy loose.

Sooo, I got to thinking......

Rather than put the tensioner on the fast moving Chain-O-Death, why not put it on the pedal chain? The pedals get little use, and when the pedals are used, everything is moving much slower (at least in MY case).

And for those who hate the look of the stock tensioner, there are a bunch of fancy bicycle tensioners.

Cheers
j

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
yessir, good idea and its been done.
sometimes, the tensioner HAS to be on the motor side. like with stretch cruisers. we gotta have them in certain places, to keep the chain from rubbing thru the frame.
others have spring-loaded tensioners. that allows for alot more sprocket....'inaccuracies' as far as its centering. those get rid of alot of zip-zip-zip!
:)

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Ditto Venice Boy.

When I can, I get rid of the tensioner all together. But depending on the install, sometimes one chain will still be too long.