Other options for rear sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
I was reading on another thread that one of the first things u should do is replace the bolt on sprocket. So what other options are there?

Steve

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
If you want to upgrade to a nicer cleaner looking installation go to Manic Mechanic's webpage on the right of your screen under the sponsers column .
He has some good replacement options . Or put your kit's standard sprocket on your back wheel , the correct way so that it is snug and runs true with the wheel , and moniter it occasionally so that the bolts stay snug , and go about your business having a good time riding . There are many ,many , bike builds using the standard kit sprocket . Monitering all the bolts in your entire assembally is a good idea . .shft.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Jims sprocket kits are really nice & make it easy to install a rear sprocket perfectly!!! But, "Yes", The stock sprocket & mounting kit works just fine if you install it correctly!

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
DONT use a coaster brake rear wheel. you could end up with a nasty ruined wheel if the bolts catch the brake arm like mine did. part bad idea, and part builder error... (i was too lazy to just remove the brake arm and put u brakes on it and now i need a whole wheel.... tire tube and all)

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
DONT use a coaster brake rear wheel. you could end up with a nasty ruined wheel if the bolts catch the brake arm like mine did. part bad idea, and part builder error... (i was too lazy to just remove the brake arm and put u brakes on it and now i need a whole wheel.... tire tube and all)
The coaster brake arm CAN be bent allowing further clearance from your sprocket bolt heads. However, the hole on the stock sprocket I got with my motor kit wasnt large enough to prevent the brake arm from rubbbing the inside of the hole where it is under the axle nut. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a metal lathe so we turned the sprocket to make the hole a bit larger. I suppose if you dont have a metal lathe available you could do it with a metal file or just down the edges of the brake arm where it fits up against the axle.

terri5212

Jun 16, 2009
Asheville N.C.
How well do the sprockets mounted on the disk brake mounts work? I have seen them advertised and they look like a great idea but a bit pricey. I have a traditional mounted sprocket and it works quite well for now, but they are never perfectly alighned and I atribute the vibrtation I get to this misalighnment.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
The sprocket is not mounted to the disk brake boss (at least on my bike its not). If u could get a sprocket with the rmatching hole pattern I guess it would be ok.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I agree with the Manic Mechanic option. I have one on my Schwinn OCC. The quality is good and so is the fit. I will buy from him again.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
I agree with the Manic Mechanic option. I have one on my Schwinn OCC. The quality is good and so is the fit. I will buy from him again.
I considered going the manic route but your wheel hub has to be truly round. My Schwinn's hub, on close inspection, isn't round but is gradually smaller in the middle.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
My belief as always been that the sprocket setup (especially the stock one) has always been the weakest link in bike engine kits (except for those defective gear boxes on the 4 strokes). I wish someone would come up with an affordable mag type alloy rear wheel that doesn't use regular spokes and has a sprocket that can be unbolted and has different tooth options and bolts on with just 4 bolts and accepts a fat tire. It looks like the Chinese could whip these out at a small price. Even a cheapo metal would probably be superior in strength to spokes.

terri5212

Jun 16, 2009
Asheville N.C.
The "Top Hat " sprocket adapter can bolt on to a disk brake mount. T
hey also have sprockets that bolt directly on to the disk brake mount. I was looking for someone who has actually used one of these prodocts.