bike shorta dragging on startup

GoldenMotor.com

brejzek

Apr 3, 2014
Plainfield il
OK so when ever i pedal my bike to start her up the motor just drags and I have to pedal and drop the clutch like 3 times in order to start it up...I just put a new spark plug in so that not an issue because it will start just takes a couple tries.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What did you gap that "new plug" at? You didn't say what carburetor you have but if you're lucky enough to have the NT starting shouldn't be difficult. If you have the infamous CNS...sorry, and good luck. :)

Do you use the choke or 'tickler' button? That button simply sinks the float to allow a rich mix for start ups. If you're using the choke and using full choke, try using only half choke.

It usually takes a little practice to find just the right combination of fuel/air mix for easy starts. Cold, these little engine always need a little help. They also need a few moments of run time after starting to warm just a little before they will run smoothly. Ten to twenty seconds will usually suffice.

Tom

brejzek

Apr 3, 2014
Plainfield il
Plug is gapped at .24 and im running 32:1 ratio gas. Plug is a perfect tan brown..my carb is a rt catb from thats dax. Also i always use choke to start my bike unless i ran it earlier but the tempeture here has windy and in the 40's so not that cold out but started doing it this week

Last edited:

brejzek

Apr 3, 2014
Plainfield il
Thanks for the help guys but I figured it out my compression is bad because I took the head AnD cylinder apart and this got it working perfect so I ordered some new gaskets for my bike....is there anything else I should do beside replace gaskets

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the help guys but I figured it out my compression is bad because I took the head AnD cylinder apart and this got it working perfect so I ordered some new gaskets for my bike....is there anything else I should do beside replace gaskets
It is always a good idea to lap the cylinder head on the gasket surface. There are several threads here addressing this procedure.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne....tab=0&gsc.q=lapping cylinder head&gsc.page=1
Also buy or borrow a torque wrench and use it when reassembling the engine. 120 to 150 inch pounds on the cylinder head fasteners. Make sure it is INCH pounds. :)

Tom