Need Help on decision Building a New Board Tracker or Old

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sorry! for the inconvenience guys. I like yer suggestion Mr. B build what you want and how you want it, there are some fantastic bikes fabricated to what the builder wanted, you should check out the Excelsior and Vintage Engine Build on Board trackers and Vintage motor bikes.

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I think the most important question before starting any build is deciding what motor to use. That single decision will drive critical decisions on chassis, wheels, brakes, etc. It will also determine how much $$$ you'll dump.

A China two stroke is great starting point for most folks, they'll bolt into almost any frame and with the modest power the bike does not need to be particularly rugged. Because these will bolt in, most guys can do their own build. There are tanks available for Worksman and Schwinn straight bar frames that will bolt right in and make you look like a pro.

Morini's are better, but they've gotten hard to find and remain expensive. Plus these don't bolt in and without fabrication skills, getting them properly mounted can be a real challenge, plus they need a stronger/roomier frame. Likewise with the smaller 4 strokes.

And then at the far end of the spectrum are the big 200cc four strokes. These are best left for custom chassis. Deep pockets required.

Good luck!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Beautiful! Ol' Bike, if you do decide to stick an engine in it may I suggest that you get either 2 stroke 60/80cc or a small 49cc 4 stroke something that will allow you to fit the engine without cutting or welding the frame, it is a Beautiful piece of history and it probably made some kid very happy when he received it many years ago.
Judging by the condition weather garaged or barned it was kept from the elimates of deteriation.
Nice Score do it justice no matter what you decide to do with it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Due to the angle of the front down tube you don't have a lot of room for an in frame engine, but enough I think for a China girl which would look good.

As for the gas tank unless you have a friend who can do it, it would be an expensive thing to commission since it is a one off. Your best bet is to consider doing it yourself. Before you nix that idea, look into it here on the forum and ask some questions. I also know that others have considered using a fake gas tank like you have and making it functional. I don't know if anyone has done it or not, but since it has been considered there will be members with thoughts on the subject if you post a treead for it. Nice old Elgin. Do you know the year?
SB

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Now Pat at Sportsman flyer makes a behind the seat tank that attaches to the laid back seat post that might be something to consider.
A small 49cc 4-stroke engine would fit in that beauty, you can go to where the search categories are and look to the right and left you'll see all kinds of vendors most offering the at engine and again it all depends on what you want for a power plant

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I think you have a great start right there. A nice vintage bike. You could fit a functional tank between the false tank panels. A nice small 2- 3 hp flathead Briggs would work, plus they are plentiful and parts are affordable. Msrfan has a great pamphlet about building a motorized bike with a Briggs. Check out the plans below you can get a quick idea of what you need to do. Are you planning on keeping the pedals? Can you weld?

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Power-Bike-plans.pdf
http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Mite Cycle by Mechanix Illustrated.pdf