aquired a FREE flying pigeon

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
was browsing through craigs and saw an add for a free flying pigeon! went over, picked it up and it wasnt in too bad of shape. the paint is original and all the parts r there, but all the chrome is heavily rusted.
mine is the PA-06 Flying Pigeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

heres what im gonna make it look like:

question is, are these bikes strong enough to be motorized?

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
You lucky %#&@ ! From what I've read, they're the best that China has to offer....thier flagship, so to speak. It was designed long ago and continually refined. That doesn't guarantee it's stong enough to motorize, but I think it will take it.

You've got people here stuffing HF 4-stroke torque monsters into Cranbrooks after all.

MHF

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
the thing is, is it more valuable just restored and not motorized? ive never seen a bike like this before

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been wanting one of these to turn in to a 1901 Indian racer. Its the perfect platform and almost Identical to the earliest Indians. You are a luck man for picking this up for free.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
This reminds me of a similar discussion about a bicycle bought cheap at a yardsale. The new owner seemed enthusiastic about motorizing it it the style of a boardtracker until someone mentioned that it might be "too valuable to motorize". Suddenly, it all about the perceived value as pedal power only and it got a bit ugly after that. The smell of money will do that.

Sell to finance another project....or to pay for holiday expenses...whatever, I'm staying out of it this time.

MHF

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My old JC Higgins was free. But it also looked free. Heck, the people who had it were prepared to pay their garbage men to haul it away. (They said nobody would pay the yard-sale price of, I think it was, $10.) Yours was likely in much better shape. I made up the cost difference in elbow grease.

Sounds like a nice bike. Me personally, I'd motorize it. Have fun.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
This reminds me of a similar discussion about a bicycle bought cheap at a yardsale. The new owner seemed enthusiastic about motorizing it it the style of a boardtracker until someone mentioned that it might be "too valuable to motorize". Suddenly, it all about the perceived value as pedal power only and it got a bit ugly after that. The smell of money will do that.

Sell to finance another project....or to pay for holiday expenses...whatever, I'm staying out of it this time.

MHF
do u know where the thread is? also, how do you find out the value of a bike

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
spoke with the authorized dealer here in US and they said a fully restored PA 06 is roughly $400... guess im motorizing :D!

1967 R50/2

Apr 20, 2008
was browsing through craigs and saw an add for a free flying pigeon! went over, picked it up and it wasnt in too bad of shape. the paint is original and all the parts r there, but all the chrome is heavily rusted.
mine is the PA-06 Flying Pigeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

heres what im gonna make it look like:

question is, are these bikes strong enough to be motorized?

Well, I keep a blog: http://www.flyingpigeonproject.org

Or I should say, "kept" as I haven't updated it in a while.

I can tell you that these little two strokes were originally made to fit the FP, and other bikes like it. HOWEVER, if you search my blog, you'll find that they will have issues. Namely, they can cut the front down tube.

With that said, where did you find the picture of the bike in the second photo? I love the gas tank!!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
where did you find the picture of the bike in the second photo? I love the gas tank!!

For sure! Love it! Would not be that hard to make just bend it on a brake and cap the ends.

Car guys have been cutting up perfict cars for years to do what they want. I say it your bike do what you want, but one could use a old Raleigh and it would look just as good.

Fitting a tank with the top bars so close together would not be that fun.

That sure is a awesome find...........Curt

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I just googled motorized flying pigeon and it came up. I decided to put the project on hold and perused a different one