120/50/26 motorcycle tires

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I asked the seller and be said the diameter it 26". Of course they would need motorcycle rims/spokes/hubs, but they would last forever, have motorcycle brakes, and any speed we could imagine with a little engine. Just thinking ahead.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The thing is, if they are listed as 120/50/26, then the rim itself would have a 26" bead seat diameter. That's even larger than a wheel for a "29er", which are 24.5"!

26" motorcycle rims/spokes/hubs would be extremely heavy, not to mention the tires or the overall cost. If one goes that route, they might as well get the rest of the motorcycle, IMHO.

I understand where you're coming from, tho. Most rear tires wear out relatively quick on MaBs, especially when they're packing the power you have lol

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
So does the moped tire really fit a 26" bicycle rim? If so there are some really cool tires available that we could run. Has anyone actually mounted them up to see if it works?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've read the Conti KKS 10 tire (in 26x2.0 or 2-22 M/C 26B TT) fits most cruiser/MTB rims, but it's a commuter-type tire. It will wear much longer and have decent traction in wet or dry, but it's much heavier than a Hookworm (a notoriously heavy street tire) and doesn't have as much dry traction.

A typical 26" cruiser rim is really 22", a typical 24" is 20". Opens up a lot of possibilities. But again, MC tires will be dang heavy, especially in the larger diameters. Weinmann and Surly make 24 and 26 wheels up to 4" wide, but the bicycle tires for them are pretty crappy, IMHO.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I've read the Conti KKS 10 tire (in 26x2.0 or 2-22 M/C 26B TT) fits most cruiser/MTB rims, but it's a commuter-type tire. It will wear much longer and have decent traction in wet or dry, but it's much heavier than a Hookworm (a notoriously heavy street tire) and doesn't have as much dry traction.

A typical 26" cruiser rim is really 22", a typical 24" is 20". Opens up a lot of possibilities. But again, MC tires will be dang heavy, especially in the larger diameters. Weinmann and Surly make 24 and 26 wheels up to 4" wide, but the bicycle tires for them are pretty crappy, IMHO.
Ok, I can't find a place in the U.S. to buy the Continental KKS 10 tire. Do you know where to buy this or a motorcycle tire that will fit our rims?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im loving the conti kks 10 tyre, has a nice vintage look....... hope one of you guy try it and test it for the rest of us..........then we will be asking whos gonna be first to run 65mph (100kmh) on a motorized bike? Or has it been done?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I remember Lurker said he (was brave enough) was able to go 65 mph on bicycle tires. Me, i've got too much to lose. I need more of a guarantee that my tires will not fail at speed. Lol,

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I just read that the KKS 10's are only designed to go to 30mph speeds. Damn Dirty Apes! I want to concentrate on a real motorcycle tire that can fit a bicycle rim if that exists or swapping rims if need be. If it exists post it here.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I just read that the KKS 10's are only designed to go to 30mph speeds. Damn Dirty Apes! I want to concentrate on a real motorcycle tire that can fit a bicycle rim if that exists or swapping rims if need be. If it exists post it here.
Maybe so, but I bet it is still better than cruiser bicycle rubber.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't know what is wrong with using bicycle tires for an ordinary motorbike build. I live in Pittsburgh which means we have lots of hills; and when I am riding my road bike (pedal bike) it is not uncommon for me to keep up with traffic going at least 40mph down hill. The guys in the Tour de France in some of the down hill stages get going 60+ mph. As far as I am concerned bicycle tires are fine for 98% of motorbike builds. just make sure they are a goo high quality tire. If you are very concerned about it look in to Cooker Simplex tires, they are the only ones that are compatible with a bicycle rim bead. I will be using these on my current build and will post a review when I get them.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I don't know what is wrong with using bicycle tires for an ordinary motorbike build. I live in Pittsburgh which means we have lots of hills; and when I am riding my road bike (pedal bike) it is not uncommon for me to keep up with traffic going at least 40mph down hill. The guys in the Tour de France in some of the down hill stages get going 60+ mph. As far as I am concerned bicycle tires are fine for 98% of motorbike builds. just make sure they are a goo high quality tire. If you are very concerned about it look in to Cooker Simplex tires, they are the only ones that are compatible with a bicycle rim bead. I will be using these on my current build and will post a review when I get them.
Got a link? Also are any 24's available?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I just got a shipping notification via Fed Ex for the two Coker 26x2.5 Simplex tires and I noticed that the shipping weight is 30 lbs. Take the box out of the equation at about two lbs if there is even a box, it may just be wrapped in plastic and you are looking at a tire that weights 13-14 lbs each. What does a Schwalebe Fat Frank weight? 2 or 3 lbs if even that? This Simplex is going to be substantial to say the least. I believe it is speed rated at 92 mph. I feel safer already!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Cobrafreak,
Let us know as soon as you get them. I keep getting ready to order than get busy and still haven't made the order. I want some, too.