Are these the baffles? Also should I upgrade my carb?

GoldenMotor.com

xypex982

Jun 28, 2010
Chino Hills
I removed this part of the exhaust

So does that mean I did the baffle mod because I feel a very noticeable power increase with of course a much louder bike.

Should I add more holes to this as well? I don't think I have done a baffle mod yet and have just removed the end cap because I always hear about drilling the baffle.

Now I know this mod makes the bike run lean so I want to get the speed carb
http://spookytoothcycles.com/compon...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=441&category_id=93

Would the larger jets make my bike no longer run so lean?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just moving the needle-clip down a notch on your carb would richen it up, if you need to. you'll have to keep checking the plug to determine what's best.

dunno why everyone thinks removing the end cap is such a hot idea, but whatever, i don't live in Chino...

wbelyeu

Jun 29, 2010
oklahoma city
my bike ran a little rich. i adjusted the carb and all is good now. you might just give that a try. also you might look at the boost bottles. you can find a kit on ebay for less than $90 it comes with a new mainfold and gaskets along with two booster bottles and tubing. what it does is take the gas air mixture thats not used and store it so gets fed back into the carb mixed better. you get a few extra mpg (not that it really matters) and couple more mph. it really a cool system we just put one on my buddies bike mine is next.

xypex982

Jun 28, 2010
Chino Hills
I have heard mixed reviews about the boost bottle and the speed carb is way cheaper and with bigger jets a definate power increaser, right? Would this speed carb take an aftermarket air filter and I'd so would it really increase the power?

I knew about this exhaust mod and knew I would tune this bike but now I'm bit by the bug and must tune tune tune! Haha

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
that carb looks almost identical to the stock carbs that comes with the kits , i got the racing carb from zoombicycles , verry nice carb lots of adjustments on it , i'm verry pleased with it

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i drill holes in the inside of the muffler. the flat plate in there then a couple of holes in the end cap makes a big diff but not as loud as just pulling the end cap off, my cranbrook has no end cap and holes drilled into the muffler and it is way loud,but it does rock.frank

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I completely gutted my muffler and slipped an empty can of Glade Air Freshener over the exhaust. I can adjust the length of the muffler, and this has a big effect on tuning. My engine has never run better, and it is plenty quiet.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Not as good as a true tuned pipe. Hey I like it its got character :p(^)rotfl Makes me wish I had thought of it! lol.

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
I completely gutted my muffler and slipped an empty can of Glade Air Freshener over the exhaust. I can adjust the length of the muffler, and this has a big effect on tuning. My engine has never run better, and it is plenty quiet.
guessing if you totally gutted the muffler then the endcap is off as well ?

did it make your engine any louder at all ?
i'm trying to make mine a little more quiet but dont want to loose any performance out of it tho :)

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
If you go with my Glade can mod, once you have prepared the can and all you have is the approximately 1/4" hole where the spray valve was...put a 1/4" nut and bolt to block it off. Now, you can drill 1/8" holes in the end of the can. Start with about six holes spaced around the end, and then try it. I put too many holes the first time and it was too loud. The pictures I posted where before I blocked off the big hole with a bolt.

xypex982

Jun 28, 2010
Chino Hills
I only have the end cap off thus far, but I plan on drilling into that metal inside part because I cant seem to be able to gut it out and don't really feel like cutting and welding since I will get an expansion chamber when I get the cash anyways.

However what I do need to do now is lean out my bike because right now my spark plug is black and oily, but my exhaust isn't spitting oil so it isn't terribly rich. I'm running 16:1 right now, and I am about 2 gallons in and as I have heard 16:1 is a lot of oil and wrong even though it was in my instructions and I could step that up to 20-32:1. Also if I let out the idle screw will that also help me lean my bike out a bit?

I need help picking an NGK spark plug for the motor which is an SD Stinger 66cc with a straight head. I hear that some can even be too long and ruin your motor so I obviously want to avoid that would the BP6HS be a safe bet?

Last edited:

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
The baffles are metal plates/rings around the inside pipe of the muffler ~ you have to remove the decorative "can" in order to see them. I found out because my muffler blew apart within the first 2 weeks of having the engine installed and I had to hunt around the neighborhood to find the chrome can...
Bike muffler cropped.jpg