Rubs Motor

GoldenMotor.com

beeler54321

Jan 13, 2014
maine
hi all so new-b here so finally got my self a Pk80 kit and running into problems already odd one to i cant find any other post with the same problems im having anyway my chain is rubbing behind Front Sprocket i have tried everything i can think of and cant get it to stop however i've been looking at my chain (415) and it just dose not look right like rollers are loose could something like that cause whats happening? any one have any info please

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Glad you've joined us.

That isn't really enough interference to be concerned with, but. I'll ask, are you using a half link with a cotter pin? If not then how is your chain alignment. Is it running straight and true with the rear speocket, or being pulled off to the right by either the sprocket or tensioner? How is the chain tension? 1/2" to 3/4" of slack? More or less?

Is there any sign of contact in the right side clutch cover which could indicate the shaft has shifted to the right?

You'll want to make sure the clip on the master link is installed correctly. The open end of the clip must face toward the rear when it is on the top, entering the engine, chain run. That little bit of rubbing could potentially knock the clip off resulting in the master link coming apart.

If you're really concerned you could grind off a little material with a Dremel tool and a small stone or burr.

Tom

Last edited:

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
Yea I had this problem using a half link. It would rattle loudly when I'd let off the throttle. I found that putting wd-40 would stop all the rattling for a few days until I needed to apply more. One day the rattling stopped because the chain had ground away enough space in the case from all the rubbing. You could use a dremel to accelerate the process.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yea I had this problem using a half link. It would rattle loudly when I'd let off the throttle. I found that putting wd-40 would stop all the rattling for a few days until I needed to apply more. One day the rattling stopped because the chain had ground away enough space in the case from all the rubbing. You could use a dremel to accelerate the process.
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is in fact a solvent. A little chain lube would help the situation. Even a few drops of 2 cycle oil, anything would be better than WD. It has its uses but as a lubricant it doesn't do much.

Tom

beeler54321

Jan 13, 2014
maine
wow u guys don't mess around that was fast so anyway no im not using a half link with a cotter pin? just the kit chain and have tired many different chain slack positions and still continues doing it and here a pic of my chain and cover i would also like to ask bout http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=8473 this (rubber washer) and could it work 4 my problem

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg