Does a $50 better bike matter?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
How important is the bicycle when motorizing to you. Do you buy as cheap as you can or get something good?

Money of course is always the main factor but there are pretty much two types of motorized bicycle riders, those that build for themselves and those that just want to buy a good one.

I cater to the latter local crowd, usually by discussing what would be the best bike and power train for their needs but I still make cookie cutter builds for the 'I just want a bike now' guys and these are the 2 low end direct drives I build

The difference in price is ~$50 but the difference in labor is worth another $50 to me.

Both get 2012+ 66cc Skyhawks, SBP front mount, BMX foam grips, and all mounting hardware painted to match or contrast with the bike color.
Also note these are my retail prices not my parts cost prices.

This is my basic Macargi Touch.

The Touch goes together pretty easy except the back sprocket, the bolt that holds the coaster brake arm on is the devil to get off and getting the sprocket centered properly can be time consuming but other than putting a pair of caliper brakes and dual pull lever on pretty easy to build and a solid bike with 3 brakes.

This is the $50 more Macargi Pantera 7S, the $50 difference is only the bike cost.

The difference in how the Pantera goes together and feels to ride however feels like a couple hundred dollars difference to me.

First off it goes together a good hour quicker than the Touck, it has front and rear V brakes which work great with a SBP dual pull brake lever, the 7-speed of course makes it's much easier to start but the best part is the sprocket drops perfect over the hub and centers itself saving big time with that part.

My point is sometimes a little extra money where it counts to start with makes for a much better finished machine be it your own or for someone else and I hope this comparison points out some things you might consider before you build as how hard it goes together will always be how hard it has to come back apart if need be, and better is well, simply better ;-}

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
regardless of price, I'd always choose the one with real brakes and some gears in back

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
When I was looking, I chose the one that seemed the easiest. And also the cheapest since I was 16 at the time and hadn't found this forum.

Guys like you need to stick around and instruct the newbies more. As they say, "hindsight is always 20/20"

If I could do it again, I would have gone with a Schwinn Sidewinder or maybe have tried to save up more cash and bought a used Trek of CL. Oh well, what's done is done I guess.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Guys like you need to stick around and instruct the newbies more. As they say, "hindsight is always 20/20".
I like to share what I think might be helpful when the opportunity presents itself, that's the best I can do.

Last edited:

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I bought a Specialized Expedition from KC. This is my first motorized bike I have ever ridden. But when riding powered there really is no resemblance to a bicycle. It took a couple of miles to get use to riding a motorized bicycle. But after getting the feel it was as if the bicycle was made to be motorized. Extremely stable and fun to ride. More like a motorcycle than a bike. Ran through an abrupt sided pothole the other day going about 25mph. Didn't see it till the last minute. No time to slow down or avoid the hole. I guess the front suspension took the jarring and it just very smoothly glided through the hole. I was surprised. Thought I was getting ready to take a spill. Like I said I have nothing else to compare it to at this time. I am shopping around a little and plan on slowly putting one together myself. I plan on getting a good quality bike. I have some old bikes laying around but I'm not going to waste the time or money on one of those traps. It may take longer due to price, but, time is one thing I have.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
How about a good bike for a 4 stroke kit? When I built my Delmar I did not have to grind the mounts at all. I would like to build another bike,but would like something better but also easy to install. The Schwinn Clairmont is at the top of the list due to the gears. I could easily change the rear wheel to a single speed disc wheel with a 3 speed freewheel. And I have a disc cruiser fork that would work out too.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I just used what I had at the time. After being a part of this forum, my bike world has expanded exponentially!! I think that my next build will start with a bike that sells for about $650 more than my original bike. It will be a Felt Deep Six Cafe Racer.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I really,REALLY would like to build up a Felt Bandito but just not sure how much fab work would have to be done.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I was looking at it on the melonbike website! That's where I will be goingbto get it or another felt once I can bring myself to commit. They really make some nice bikes though.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
How about a good bike for a 4 stroke kit?
The Electra makes a pretty good bike to jackshaft with a 4-stroke.

The most important thing is it doesn't have forward cranks, meaning the pedals are directly under the seat post or you need a tensioner to route the top chain under the motor like on this Pantera.

Note I like to replace the derailleur with a 3 speed internal hub and you can see the tensioner for the pedal drive chain.

For a direct drive cranks and gear drive type don't matter and depending on the bikes size a 4-stroke with it's stock mount kit goes in a Pantera but just barley, I think I might have had to cut the top of the choke lever off and epoxy it back on a little lower.

I just finished up another 2-stroke DD Pantera and got a shot of how the sprocket mounts.

It's pretty hard to find better than than that.
And of course you can always put shock front forks with a V-brake on it.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
The electra is nice,but I'm against aluminum frames. The black pantera:confused: looks about perfect,but since I will be using 24" wheels those brakes won't be used. The disc cruiser fork I have? Got a halo combat disc wheel for it. I will probably just get rid of the 26" wheels cuz I'm too short for that. Going to look for a pantera now. Thanks KC!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Ok,I looked. Appears the pantera was sold at Walmart and Kmart among other places. Unless I come into some money soon looks like the schwinn clairmont is what the next 'bike' build will be. Unless somebody has just a pantera frame for sale......?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The black pantera:confused: looks about perfect,but since I will be using 24" wheels those brakes won't be used.
I will probably just get rid of the 26" wheels cuz I'm too short for that. Going to look for a pantera now. Thanks KC!
You might want to reconsider changing wheels, one of the best parts of the Pantera's are their wheels.
The tubes are thin garbage I replace but the wheels and tires and top notch.

What is your inseam?
The top of the stock seat on a Pantera all the way down to the ground is only 32" but it will go up to 38".

Changing to 24" wheels will only get you 1" closer to the ground but defeat the bikes brakes, good wheels and tires and lower your top speed and heck, you can get an inch with just a thinner seat.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
About 26" inseam. I could just stand over the delmar with 26" wheels but had no problems at all once I changed from the cruiser tires to 24x1.95 Biria trax tires. Oh,and I cut the seat post tube down an 1 1/2".

As for top speed,not an issue. If that's what I was looking for I would would be looking at a Suzuki GSX 750. Seriously.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Not a bad looking generic good bike and motor kit build.

I find it's worth the time to do some painting and cable matching.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The black version of the Pantera works well to, this one just rolled out of the chute and for sale for $620.

I do a lot on every build that doesn't just show in looks, you feel it on the road, this one however needs a couple more zip ties for the cables, I ran out again.

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Do you do builds using higher end bikes? Say Dyno,Electra,Felt or Worksman?

I would love to see what you can do with something along those lines.