CA. Law Info

GoldenMotor.com

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
So I can get plates for my motorbike if I send away that form with 18$? What should I tell them when it asks for serial #, etc?
If you are even thinking about building a moped in the State of California the 1st step should be sending out for your plates.

On June 2, 2009 I mailed a completed moped plate form along with $19 to Sacramento and still haven't received anything yet.

I just got off of the phone with them (September 16, 2009) and they said that it cleared last week and I should receive it in approximately 2 weeks.

Longer than 3 months, lol.

Just got my CA license plate this is how i did it.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

print out form 230 from DMV website under Vin I put teh vin # of my bike then to make the vin 17 #s like a car i put the name of my bike to fill in the rest so i looked like CRANBR###########. I have a Huffy Cranbrooke.
Engine # i just put the spark plug product #
Make was HUFFY
Fill out the rest and mail in with $19. ( this was in 2009)
Wait 3 weeks and you get it.

My registration papers says it is a motorized bicycle but under body type it has the code MP (moped?) and says it is a moped under type vehicle use.

heard it can take a few tries
Good Luck

Rockwells

Nov 1, 2009
Quincy, CA
@TwoWalks

I got nailed by the 5% today, went off for about 45 minutes cause he kept saying "I Think", when a CHP says "I Think", that's a good time to make him define more and more of what he "Thinks" he's trying to say.

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Hey all I too did some research and the ca. motorcycle handbook says"There are two definitions of motorized bicycle(moped).Anyway it's on page #3 of that handbook. I took all this info and was on a tv location and there were 4 CHP officers standing (with dounuts in hand)there and I regurgatated this vastamount of mumbo jumbo I had soaked up form the publications and this is what I confermed. 50cc or less,30 mph max. D.O.T. approved helmet, no registration, no insurance,must travel to the right of the roadway and not impeede traffic and you follow these rule you are wall in the law. This is what I found out ,good luck/be safe Bob

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
what does an engine number look like, I cant seem to find one on mine so I think ill have to make one up.
You may be able to leave the engine number blank if the engine has no number. Or you can create your own and stamp it in if you want. There is no inspection.

Hey all I too did some research and the ca. motorcycle handbook says"There are two definitions of motorized bicycle(moped).Anyway it's on page #3 of that handbook. I took all this info and was on a tv location and there were 4 CHP officers standing (with dounuts in hand)there and I regurgatated this vastamount of mumbo jumbo I had soaked up form the publications and this is what I confermed. 50cc or less,30 mph max. D.O.T. approved helmet, no registration, no insurance,must travel to the right of the roadway and not impeede traffic and you follow these rule you are wall in the law. This is what I found out ,good luck/be safe Bob
Read it again. The limit is 2hp. 50cc has nothing to do with it. There is no “yearly registration” but you do have to pay the “one time registration” in order to get your plate.

Last edited:

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
it says if it meetsVC 406(b) you are exempt from the vehicle financial responsibility,driver license, and moped plate requirements. I stand corrected on the cc/hp issue thanks Bob

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
You may be able to leave the engine number blank if the engine has no number. Or you can create your own and stamp it in if you want. There is no inspection.

Read it again. The limit is 2hp. 50cc has nothing to do with it. There is no “yearly registration” but you do have to pay the “one time registration” in order to get your plate.
You are correct. You also need an M2 license though.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
You are correct. You also need an M2 license though.
The original post was about how to register your bike. You do not need an M1 or M2 license to do that.

True. The M2 is sufficient in order for you to legally ride any moped. However, the M1 allows you to ride any kind of bike from a moped to a Goldwing. Why do they still have the M2 license? These days they both require the same effort as far as I know. Has anyone actually gotten a California M2 license recently? And if so, why did you get it as apposed to an M1?

Last edited:

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
The original post was about how to register your bike. You do not need an M1 or M2 license to do that.

True. The M2 is sufficient in order for you to legally ride any moped. However, the M1 allows you to ride any kind of bike from a moped to a Goldwing. Why do they still have the M2 license? These days they both require the same effort as far as I know. Has anyone actually gotten a California M2 license recently? And if so, why did you get it as apposed to an M1?
Reminding or informing the thread opener that he will need a M2 license at minimum to ride a legally California registered bike in California is EXTREMELY relevant to his question. It is silly to argue against that fact.

The reason why someone would get an M2 over a M1 is because a motorcycle is more difficult to ride than a bicycle with an engine on it. Not everyone can handle shifting and clutch control of a motorcycle. To get an M2, I was informed by the CA DMV that a motorized bicycle or a moped is sufficient to take the test. It is far easier to get an M2 over an M1.

Last edited:

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Reminding or informing the thread opener that he will need a M2 license at minimum to ride a legally California registered bike in California is EXTREMELY relevant to his question. It is silly to argue against that fact.

The reason why someone would get an M2 over a M1 is because a motorcycle is more difficult to ride than a bicycle with an engine on it. Not everyone can handle shifting and clutch control of a motorcycle. To get an M2, I was informed by the CA DMV that a motorized bicycle or a moped is sufficient to take the test. It is far easier to get an M2 over an M1.
I’m not arguing the fact that you need an M1 or M2 license to legally ride a motorbike. I even stated that you need one or the other. But you do not need it to get a plate for your bike.

As to why someone would get an M2 instead of the less restrictive M1 license, you may have a point. But if you are under 21 years old, you are required to take the motorcycle training course in order to get your license. They provide the bikes which are generally small 125cc to 250cc motorcycles. I have never seen anyone use a motorized bicycle or moped in the course. Has anyone here taken the training course on their own motorized bicycle?

If you are over 21 and don’t want to take the driving test, you too can take the training course instead of performing the DMV skills test.

If you really want to take the DMV skills test rather than the training course, and you are unsure of your ability to handle a clutch and shifter, you can take the test on a Honda 50 or Vespa with an automatic. They are even easier than a motorized bicycle.

If you just want to get an M2, go for it. Let me know how it works out. I’m curious if it is really easier. It should be easier but it looks to be the same to me. Again, does anyone here have a California M2? How old were you when you got it? When did you get it and what did you have to do? I have an M1. I can’t find anyone with an M2.

Last edited:

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
i will be getting an m1 license only cause i want a motorcycle.
i can't imagine bringing my motorized bike to the dmv and taking the test.
i'm just gonna take the chp course.
do they still provide the motorcycles? cause i don't have access to one.
They provide the bikes. They get dumped at low speeds so they are beat up some. Better than dumping yours while learning.

AACYCLONE

Dec 21, 2009
sylmar,ca
What Would Be The Best Thing To Do On Riding My Motorized Bike I Wear A Helmet ( Which One Should I Wear Bicycle Helmet Or A D.o.t Helmet, I Also Have A M-1 License ,and Also Have Ligts On My Bike , So Should I Get The Plate To Be On The Safe Side And If So, On The Form 230pdf Section A Do I Mark The 4 Guestions Yes Or No (help Thanks Aacycone

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
It was $19 this year 2009, and I think it goes up $1 year.....so why don't you send them $20 to be on the safe side for 2010 as you gotta know that everything moves very slow at the DMV

there is a lot of outdated info on the DMV website and the $18 would fall into that catergory

Last edited: