2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: 2010 HardRock

Glad it didn't drop ya!
Yes! I had just gone down Gates Pass would have sucked if it happened when I was going down the pass.

Never had a derailleur hanger fail on me before. I was surprised I even had a spare in the tool box.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

A little over 20 miles on it and so far working great! What a huge improvement over what i had before the difference is really noticeable.

I was only able to get about half the pad on the rotor due to space. So I am not sure how well it will work long term but anything is a better then what I had. If I have to replace pads and rotors a little sooner then normal not a bad trade off for way better braking in my opinion.

Next I would like to get a matching front wheel. I am really liking this Supra D its way better wheel then what my bike came with. Also I want to go to 203mm brakes up front and go hydraulic front and rear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
So far the 203 up front and 180 in the rear is working great! I am having the chain get into the rear caliper a little but it does not look like its going to be anything to be concerned about.

One thing I did figure out is for the rear I don't have the room for a hydraulic caliper....yet.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

A while back my bike was stolen and I did have it returned the same day. But ever since my front disc brake squeals.

New pads, new disc, same problem. Normally I would not care but man is it loud! I have no clue why it started to squeal and I really dont know what to do about it?
Finally after going from the 160 rotor to a 203 rotor my brake squeal is gone. It was starting to get annoying.

I also switched out to Intermediate pads instead of the harder ones. I think that made more of a effect with the brake squeal rather then a bigger rotor. But I am also having to use way less brake pressure to stop my bike with the bigger brakes. I am sure that's also helping eliminate any brake squeal.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That is a way cool build...I have the hard rock specialized also it doesn't have the front fork suspension or the disk brakes. I was told that's like a $500 bike. It is a nice bike for sure peddles pretty easy. I'm just wondering if the differences is due to the year model? Did you add the front fork and disk brake?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well darn! My paint is starting to bubble and peel off my seat tube.

Think I will wait for the rest of the bike to get more scratched then go with that raw aluminum look.

Attachments

Buzzerbiker

Sep 27, 2012
kalispell MT.
Hi Dave! That thing looks hot!!! You do sheet metal and welding? Reason I ask is, I see a lot expansion chambers being used out there. Built my first one from scratch 45 years ago, and used to have the formulas for very specific tuning. Almost any expansion chamber, however, is a big improvement over a muffler, you know well, I see. Straight though/glass pack silencers are also the norm. When I was racing all those years ago, I integrated the glass pack by welding a sheet metal cylinder from the fat part of the pipe to the end of the stinger, perforate the stinger, pack it, and cap it. This saves some space and is quieter. BUT, I was still looking for less noise on my enduro/crosscountry bikes. Instead of perforating the stinger, and packing, I simply capped the cylinder and welded a second stinger sized pipe extending anywhere from 5 to 7 inches into the cylinder. These pipes actually were pretty pleasant sounding, AND boosted mid range torque very well. I used this design on my Stihl 23cc. If you want all out speed, keep the glass packs, if you're going trail or urban, try the baffle can. Happy building/riding.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thank You Buzz. Yes I do a little sheet metal and welding. I've only made three expansion chambers from scratch in all my years though. Most of the stuff I have done is modding what I already have.

This pipe on the Hardrock was really close to what I wanted and needed. All I did to it was add a longer header for a little more torque.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
my friend just sold me a front disk wheel a rear caset and he trew the 203 rotor for free for the wheel and caset i paid 50 bucks its going on my new bike that i building little by little its a 99 cc predator with the governor agk jackshaft and a 56 rear sproket cant wait to get her done