2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: 2010 HardRock

Dave, does your bike have a 27" frame?
No biknut, my frame is a 19". I debated between the 19" and 21" frame and decided to go with the 19" because being a short guy the 19" fit better. The 17" frame was just too small even for me at 5'6"

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal

very nice, i love hardrocks. I have a 92 hard rock with a two stroke kit, expansion chamber, and jackshaft. it's my favorite bike so far.... can only imagine how nice the newer ones are.

Vanboy18

May 5, 2011
Bellingham, WA

Hey Dave31 nice bike. I was wondering what engine you have and if you needed special mounting brackets when mounting your engine?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Hey Dave31 nice bike. I was wondering what engine you have and if you needed special mounting brackets when mounting your engine?
It's a 66cc, not too sure what motor it is bought it used on Craigslist for $20 and had to put a new top end on it; I believe it's a Starfire.

I made my own mounts using a fence post and cutting it in half with the bottom part of the exhaust clamp welded to it. When I do aluminum frames I like lots of frame/mount surface for the front mount. I have seen too many who just use a exhaust clamp and just about wore right through the frame after some use.

Cheap, easy and works...

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Dave, I think your mounting method will work for my new Cadillac. When I start the build I'm going to give it a try.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

What kit did you get? I Also have a hardrock and would like to do that same thing.
I did not purchase a kit and dont think I ever will again. The engine was from craigslist and the tank, cdi, chain, sprocket ect were stripped off other bikes I had.

Biknut- Dave, I think your mounting method will work for my new Cadillac. When I start the build I'm going to give it a try.
Kool, hope it works out for you. I wish I would have taken photos as I built it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Still adding the miles to the HardRock, Ride it daily with no problems. Approaching 5,000 miles on this bad boy from daily transportation to off-road trails and the race track.

I really like this bike and enjoy riding it. The only thing that I can say is I dont like the tires as far as traction on and off-road. And every few hundred miles I need to adjust the front disc brake. Other then that this has been a real good bike and motor for me.

I have put more miles on this bike faster then any other motor assisted bicycle I have owned.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

A while back my bike was stolen and I did have it returned the same day. But ever since my front disc brake squeals.

New pads, new disc, same problem. Normally I would not care but man is it loud! I have no clue why it started to squeal and I really dont know what to do about it?

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Sounds like the hardrock works great! Maybe that's the bike I'll get as my next one if my current one does not work. I'll have to make something like your mount there. Don't want to saw through my frame half way up the mountain. around 75% grades I believe.

Dave- Try cleaning them. I know it's new but it might need a little eblow grease, minus the grease. Maybe just try some dish soap on the disc and a sponge. Once it is dry and free of soap I think you'll be golden. I could be wrong though.
Maybe something in the clamping thing is touching the disc that isn't the brake pad?

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

sometimes brake squealing is the pads viberating. try a little atv on the back of the pads

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia

Great looking bike, you do some fine work. If I can find one in Australia it will be my next project. I hope you gave the person that stole it a nice head ache I mean hand shake.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Over a year and thousands of miles something finally broke. My derailleur broke on me after stopping at a stop sign. Made the stop, pedaled to get going and just as I was getting up to speed the rear wheel locked up.

The derailleur got caught up in the spokes and locked the rear wheel. Lucky I was able to make it home just on the motor with no pedaling. Being night time and far away from home it would have been a long walk. The photos were taking on the side of the road right after it happened.

Attachments