2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Now that I'm home sick with the flu I should have some time to finally do a little maintenance and check things over.

Need to remove a few links from the chain, might even remove my chain tensioner, have not decided yet.

I guess a spark plug would not hurt still running the original plug. Going to pull my side covers off check the crank seals, lube the gears a little.

My brakes need adjusting and would not hurt to check the clutch and throttle cable and adjust it if need be. And of course going to lube all the cables.

Going to check all my spokes and take a good look at my tires make sure I have no nails or anything. Would not hurt to rotate my tires for better wear. But I really dont feel like changing tires today, maybe I'll let that go a little longer.

Also need to adjust my derailleur so that it shifts correctly again. And one of my pedals feels funny like the bearings are going out so I need to see whats up with that.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Today I went out to a few local parks to do a little metal detecting.

Soon as I left the house my bike made a lot more funky noise than it normally does. It also felt like it was vibrating a little.

It just got louder and the vibration got worse. It was vibrating so bad on the way home my feet and hands were tingling and numb.

Not good, not good at all. Something has gone awry :(

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Today I went out to a few local parks to do a little metal detecting.

Soon as I left the house my bike made a lot more funky noise than it normally does. It also felt like it was vibrating a little.

It just got louder and the vibration got worse. It was vibrating so bad on the way home my feet and hands were tingling and numb.

Not good, not good at all. Something has gone awry :(
Fresh fuel and it all went away.

Next time instead of being lazy I'll just go to the gas station instead of siphoning two year old fuel out of my generator.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My baby has been non-motorized.

Only for the month of June... then that motor is going back on!

I left the rear sprocket and tensioner on. I don't think it will hinder me at all so why mess with it.

It's really weird to ride it without a motor. And I forgot how light my bike is. I need to clean it up and get all the oil off the frame from the motor.

Attachments

2old2learn

Sep 17, 2008
I'm finally getting mine motorized! Was out buying additional mounting hardware bolts and nuts this morning. Hopefully in the next few days I'll have power applied. Seems no matter how hard I tried my best laid plans failed at every step of my path. So this was a case of, better enjoy the journey!

Will report success once I have successful trial run completed.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm finally getting mine motorized! Was out buying additional mounting hardware bolts and nuts this morning. Hopefully in the next few days I'll have power applied. Seems no matter how hard I tried my best laid plans failed at every step of my path. So this was a case of, better enjoy the journey!

Will report success once I have successful trial run completed.
That's great 2old, awesome! I can't wait to see you up and riding your 29er. I hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have enjoyed mine.

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
Read the entire thread. Amazing job! It was also cool to see your updates on problems and upgrades that you did over the years. Starting a build with a Rockhopper as soon as my box of parts gets shipped from the east coast to the Alaskan interior. Can't wait!

2old2learn

Sep 17, 2008
I have done two test rides on it. First one discovered I needed both kill switches enabled. 2nd one I noticed I had no throttle control over the governed motor and was having a problem with the freewheel. Sent freewheel back for evaluation and ordered a rotary valve diagram carburetor for it. In process of installing carb and waiting on freewheel. One step forward, two steps backwards!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Read the entire thread. Amazing job! It was also cool to see your updates on problems and upgrades that you did over the years. Starting a build with a Rockhopper as soon as my box of parts gets shipped from the east coast to the Alaskan interior. Can't wait!
Thanks You xspace glad you have enjoyed it. I've done my best to share all that goes on with my ride.

That's awesome! I love the Rockhopper. Be sure to share your Rockhopper build with us.

Sometimes I want to go buy a brand new shinny bike maybe upgrade to a better one.

But then I think why? My Hardrock does just fine and all I really want is the excitement of a new bike. Then I'll just go for a ride and get over it and be happy with what I got.

2old2learn- I have done two test rides on it. First one discovered I needed both kill switches enabled. 2nd one I noticed I had no throttle control over the governed motor and was having a problem with the freewheel. Sent freewheel back for evaluation and ordered a rotary valve diagram carburetor for it. In process of installing carb and waiting on freewheel. One step forward, two steps backwards!
Keep at 2old! You will get there. Take your time and build right just the way you like it. Once you get all the bugs worked out it will pay off.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Got off work early today was excited to go for a ride. Only to find out I have a rear flat. I think its been almost a year to date when I had my last flat.

I don't have anymore spare tubes and I hate patching tubes I just do not trust patches. I don't feel like going to go buy some new tubes so I guess I'll just do laundry and clean the house.

Attachments

2old2learn

Sep 17, 2008
I put Kevlar liners in mine to try and reduce that risk. Always carry a tire kit with cO2 cartridges. On trips I carry extra tubes and a pump in addition plus extra tools. Glad you didn't get caught out with that problem

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: 2010 HardRock

Had a small problem with my front disc brake.

I would stop at one stop light with plenty of front brakes, get to the next stop light and no front brakes.

It was not like I lost front brakes little by little, one minute I had them, the next I did not.

What I found was the pad adjuster for some odd reason would back out so far the pad would not even touch the disc. How this would happen from one stop light to another I still do not understand.

I took the caliper completely apart and inspected it. Without finding anything wrong I locktite the adjuster screw and re-assembled.

Been about a week and so far the problem has not come back to haunt me with no front brakes.
Having this problem again, this time with both brakes.

Today when I was riding I lost the rear brake, but still had the front so i thought no big deal. Later on during my ride lost the front brake. It was a bit scary I had to wedge my foot between the rear tire and frame to stop.

When i got home the rear adjuster was just about ready to fall out. The front had also backed out but not as bad as the rear.

So I took them apart and locked tight them again and re-adjusted everything. Have not touched the adjuster since the last time so I guess I need to keep an eye out on them and check them more regularly.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Noticed a leak at the exhaust on my last ride. Went to check the bolts and one was loose. But it would not tighten, looks like the threads are gone.

So I pulled my motor off so it would be easier to tap. Can't find my tap so guess I need to go get another one.

Been a long time since I have any trouble with this bike.

Just as well I pulled the motor off. It's time to go over the entire bike anyways it has been so long since I have checked it over or done any maintenance.

Attachments