2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Specialized 2010 HardRock

I love my RockHopper, probably one of the best bikes I have had in a long time. But it is a 23" frame and being 5'6 it was a challenge even with 3" cut off the top of the seat post I still could not touch the ground.

A few times I have embarrassing tumbled over trying to get my foot planted on the ground before my boys got a visit from the top tube in a not so friendly manner.

I really wanted another Rockhopper Comp but in a smaller frame. But cost is a huge factor and the Hardrock is the very same frame as the Rockhopper it just does not have the upgraded components.

So I got a great deal on the 2010 HardRock and I can always swap the better components of my Rockhopper onto the HardRock.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: 2010 HardRock

Looking at your pics, am wondering if a custom layback seat post would work for you Dave? So it ended up being lower then the seat tube. sort of an "S" hook with a long end.

just wondering out loud.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Cool. Are you going to put the tank on the top tube or work out something else?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Don't think there is enough room to mount a tank under the top bar. But I have yet to try, just have not got to that yet.

I switched out the Specialized big knobby off-road tires to some IRC Avatage Pro semi-slick; Got a great deal both for $5. That will give me better on road traction plus longer tire life and still give plenty traction for my off-road trail rides.

I do plan for some Maxxis Hookworms 26x2.5 in the future when I can better afford them, they will give a nice softer ride plus look cooler with the extra width.

Had to install the tensioner, without it the chain would be right on the lower chain stay. Its not adding tension to the chain but just as a guide to keep the chain off the chain stay.

The plan was too have disc on the rear but there is just not enough space to have the disc brake and drive sprocket. I have not given up, but at this time I just cannot find a way to make it work. I will work on it as time goes on.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

why didn't you just replace the rims for smaller ones????
Because the 23" frame was still too big, that is a very long top tube on the 23" and the reach was too far. Even with different bars and necks.

I am very happy with my choice and it was the right choice for me. It was not just a height problem, I am a very small guy and it makes more sense and safer to ride with a frame that was meant for my size.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Engine fits in there nice Dave. Not lost or crammed looking. How is the saddle?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

So far I am really liking this bike, the saddle Dan so far seems okay; we will find out on long rides how good it is.

The tank on here is 3/4gallons, I got it from Dax a long time ago. I was skeptical because I never heard of a 3/4 tank. But true to his word it is 3/4 of a gallon.

I will post more detail photos when I get a chance.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

Cool looking build! I have not had the heart to do this to my hardrock. Looks great though, and I like the fit of the bike for my height too (6ft)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Thanks LS, tomorrow I am gonna switch the pipe over to the stock one. This fatty pipe is just way to loud for daily commuting.

I will lose a little power but if I need more that's what the pedals are for.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Cleaned up my old chrome muffler and painted it, the fatty is just too loud to be cruising around. I am gonna lose some power but thats what the pedals are for...right?

The Saddle, looks nice but not very comfortable. Hopefully I can find a nice looking gel seat that goes with the bike.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I went to buy my usual Schwinn speedo but they were out, so I got a Bell one instead. Works great but every now and then when I first fire up the motor it resets itself.

Once the motor is running it does fine, but it is a pain to re-program every time.

Until I can figure out how to mount a disc and sprocket I am using the Odyssey 1999 BMX brakes on the rear. And yes this wheel is compatible to use these brakes. Many disc wheels are not so be sure yours is before using rim brakes.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

The IRC tires I am using, so far traction is great. Have not gone off-road yet and they are a little stiff and makes for a bumpy ride. Hookworms is what I want but I will have to wait for a while for them.

And the rear sprocket.............

Attachments