what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
i've got a new magneto coming as that's the only thing i can think it is after having tested all the other things. mechanically it's fine and it's getting fuel, there's no way i burned up two plugs and two cdi's in the short time i've had the bike.

I got new hardware yesterday for the motor and i had a pain in the ass time trying to find the sizes, i ended up taking one of each bolt in to fastenal and get it matched up that way. Here's what i came up with for sizes and part numbers from fastenal. They're all hex cap screws.

Sprocket cover: m6-1.0 x25mm; pn 1139568
Clutch cover: m6-1.0 x20mm; pn 1139567
Case mount: m6-1.0 x35mm; pn 1139570
Magneto cover: m4-.70 x16mm; pn 2139526
Case bolt below the jug: m6-1.0 x40; pn 1139571
Head studs: m8-1.25 x90mm; pn 1139599

This is for my flying horse angle fire from bike berry.

This is why sick bike parts makes bolt kits ;) Did you check to see who would be cheaper? All I can say is mine held together with a Hi Compression Puch head at about 11 to 1 compression instead of the stock 6.5 to 1. The head is one place you really need studs seeing as there is only 4.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i quickly discovered that studs were needed, the bolts i had listed for the head were too short and pull out of the bottom end. luckily i was able to thread the studs back in and all's fine and dandy. these were from fastenal and i wanted to be able to look at and lay hands on the bolts before i actually confirmed that's what i wanted.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i quickly discovered that studs were needed, the bolts i had listed for the head were too short and pull out of the bottom end. luckily i was able to thread the studs back in and all's fine and dandy. these were from fastenal and i wanted to be able to look at and lay hands on the bolts before i actually confirmed that's what i wanted.
Yes studs are best hands down...

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
how do you guys deal with weather proofing your magneto? i'm coming into the rainy season in the PNW and it's my main mode of transportation, i don't want to have to spend the money to replace it every time i ride in the rain.

suggestions or links?

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
ok so i take a tube of RTV and pack it into the wires coming out of the case till it pushes out of the wires at all the places in between the wires then i seal the gasket on the cover and add a desiccant pack from a new pair of shoes it absorbs the moisture and i put it at the back where there is room it absorbs the moisture that is made when it gets hot in there
and make sure its sealed i rode my bike all winter with no problems also put a on/off switch in the blue wire lines so you stop shorting out the mag coil

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
didn't do anything yet - got critical appt at DR today & need to ride thru industrial area

last two times I tried, I got a flat each time & missed appt

not yet sure if I'll try it again : (

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Speaking of flats.. I experienced a blow out..my fault..didnt have front linier pull shoes adj. right rubbed though the side wall..pop! Then you realize you don't want to slam on the brakes and have a wash out. Soo I carry tube,pump and tools and had them all with me! Just turned 1000 miles. First flat. I was gonna swap front to back tires..now gotta buy one. I'd like to have stiffer side walls. Mine are cst 2.24 nice tire. Nice price 14$. Gonna look for rubber side walls.

Last edited:

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
you need to get 4 ply tires and puncture resistant tubes so that doesnt happen again they also have tube inserts that go between the tire and the tube

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I guess I didn't realize how cramped my Huffy frame really was until I swapped out to a layback seatpost ---- holy cow, what a difference!! Lower and further back is the shiznat!!

dance1

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The laid back on the Huffy is awesome. I need to always have one in stock. I think the solid steel ones for sale in the swap section look like the way to go for my application.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Changed out the rear 'fender' to a Topeak DeFender M2. When I finally get the Honda fuel tank on it, it'll look like it's supposed to be there.

Loaded up. Think that I'm gonna close my eyes, point at the map, and go to the 'point' for an 'adventure' tomorrow.........

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
20150821_200046.jpg i built this not to long ago its a very nice bike i sold it for 500 not bad for a 2 day build well it was an hour for painting the tank and engine then waiting for paint to dry for a day LOL

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i got my wheel back today from the local shop whom i tried to have true and fix the hop, apparently when i was building it i over tightened some of the spokes bending the rim causing an un-fixable hop, which really blows because it was a brand new rim. i'm going to try taking it to another shop and seeing if it truly is non-fixable or if the shop in town is just blowing smoke.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Changed out the rear 'fender' to a Topeak DeFender M2. When I finally get the Honda fuel tank on it, it'll look like it's supposed to be there.

Loaded up. Think that I'm gonna close my eyes, point at the map, and go to the 'point' for an 'adventure' tomorrow.........

Nice looking setup!!
I prefer those type fenders for these builds too since they arent nearly as dangerous as the metal fenders

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Ok, I think it's time to say "Uncle" on my home-made exhausts. Sunday, I took the bike to my hometown and rode some of the paved outlaying roads. One was just a touch rough, but had no stop signs for about 5 miles. My bike has never done a near full speed run of that distance.........well, it has now.

Everything was fine, except a progressively louder exhaust note --- the exhaust came apart beneath the epoxy fiber coating near the manifold. So, I've got a 'factory' made exhaust on the way. Should be here next week. Updates soon.

"Uncle."

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
on my first ride out in a couple weeks i went ass over tea kettle, it was a miscommunication with my and my buddy, i thought he said to cut across the road but he said to stay the lane. this miscommunication caused me to run into him i popped my front tire and went over the handle bars, thank god for helmets and thank god there wasn't more traffic, although had there been more traffic i would have not tried to cross the highway. my shoulder is killing me but nothing was broken, i'm sure it dislocated and popped back in.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
fixed it and went on a ride yesterday only to blow the head gasket, i thought i stripped out the case where the studs go in luckily it was just the HG. fixed it and went on a ride and my buddy blew his rear tire on a nail. it's almost comical that when his is running good mine isn't and when mine is running good his isn't. eventually we'll get this all figured out and be able to ride.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Made a 12v battery pack for my lighting system from 1.2v 3500mAh AA cells. Two packs like this are about 1/3 the weight of a 7Ah SLA.

The setup will be LED H3 headlight & LED brake/tail light, activated by switches in the levers and selected by a 3-pos switch for night/day/off. Also found a 5v 7805 regulator, which will be connected to a USB port so I can charge my phone as well!

Attachments