Motorized bicycle setup for long distance riding

GoldenMotor.com

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
Ok, at this point I have no idea what I am planning on doing. Part of me wants to just build the original bike I intended to build and maybe work on a recumbent trike later. Part of me wants to just go for it and take my time building the recumbent. All of me wants both (not going to happen :( ).

In all honesty, aside from the electrical aspects of your T3 BarelyAWake, I am keeping up with what you did in your build. The front end is a bit confusing, but I really wouldn't even worry about making the front end suspended. The rear looks simple enough, it's just the rear end of normal full suspension bicycle I believe. The frame looks simple as well, just a child's ATV frame, and the whole thing is welded together. I've been doing the math and while being very liberal with my budget, I think I could build a nice tadpole for under $1500 using a brand new Lifan engine even. Like I said, that is a somewhat liberal figure, and I could probably do it cheaper.

I have a 12" miter saw, I could do all the cuts myself, and in reality if I could afford a decent stick welder I could practice for a bit and I would probably be fine doing most of the welding myself.

I guess it's a big project involving a lot of things I know absolutely nothing about, but at the same time I am in no rush whatsoever. I would be perfectly happy taking 6 months to build the trike. I think right now I am just going to take my time researching a bit more. I'm probably going to purchase a couple plans from AtomicZombie over the next week or so. They are having a sale for and $36 you get 6 plans, so I will probably just go with that and get several plans that I think would be helpful (I think there are at least 3 tadpole plans). After that I will just go from there and decide what I want to do.

Thanks everyone for your input, you all have made this so much more difficult (in a good way). :D I will probably update this thread in a few days after I have had some more time to think this over. Thanks again!