Should I trade my 1995 Clear creek Schwinn for this

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Scored my first Rat Rod!

Should I trade my 1995 Clear creek Schwinn for this prewar Western Flyer what you see is what I get, no chainguard original rims
has any one ever motorized one of these? if so how does it ride it feels a little small for me however Im' thinking resale but what are the chances of coming across another 1995 clear creek so high it doesn't make a sound going down the road ? I'm torn the Clear Creek cost $349 new in 1995 & its still like day 1 . If I had the cash to buy the Western Flyer I would, but recent eye surgery for my wife has emptied the bank account !!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAAC54/hTQ6avdg78s/s1024/2013-07-20.jpg

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd love to have that old bike..... but the trade deal is all about what you want and which one you will be most proud to own, looks like it would make an awesome motorized bike to me.....!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Ditto the only other issue is me being 6'4" my knees almost hit the gooseneck' I want it in a bad way

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it's too small, it will still be too small with a motor.
I'd offer $75-100 for the old school and keep your schwinn.
Just because it's old does not make it gold.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Four words for you, bro: layback seatpost, my dude. I'd be all OVER that WF so fast my head would spin. I'd have an in-frame tank and a Whizzer in it before my wife could complain about the bills, lol.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If it's too small, it will still be too small with a motor.
I'd offer $75-100 for the old school and keep your schwinn.
Just because it's old does not make it gold.
I completely respectfully disagree...... when it comes to the older bikes they are very much gold compared to todays china made stuff...... !

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Personally I'd trade one of my bikes that has an engine already set up on it straight across for that bike and never blink an eye....... that is a good frame to make a much better bike than any of my three motorized bikes that I have now..........!

Map

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yeah, the Western Flyer just has a coolness factor to it........make sure you get the chest of drawers, also!! :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah, the Western Flyer just has a coolness factor to it........make sure you get the chest of drawers, also!! :D
Yes I always loved the western flyer bikes, one of my uncles owned a little western auto store in a small town call Ranger Texas , my first bikes were western flyers and I still have a western flyer BMX frame I plan to do something with eventually , it aint nearly as cool as the old cruiser bike at all but it was my first bmx style bike and I sold bottles cans and pecans I picked up just so i'd have the $99 it cost to buy that bike in 1981, many fond memories of the western flyer bikes and thos eawesome trip to the weztern auto store when I was a kid.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Four words for you, bro: layback seatpost, my dude. I'd be all OVER that WF so fast my head would spin. I'd have an in-frame tank and a Whizzer in it before my wife could complain about the bills, lol.
You'd have to keep your eyes peeled for me. I'd be sneaking in there, shoving some money at the guy, and loading it in my van before the WF's shadow had faded from the lawn!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Personally I'd trade one of my bikes that has an engine already set up on it straight across for that bike and never blink an eye....... that is a good frame to make a much better bike than any of my three motorized bikes that I have now..........!

Map
thats easy to say from the photo's the forks are flat steel not rounded same with the frame near the wheel the tubing goes into flat stock and Its made in England I guess it was made for western auto and I guess they had numerous bike companies make their bikes back then so many infact a source said Iprob never find out what co made it .

If it is still there next friday I will trade him it "best part about it is he is only open on the weekends " :) I've been jonesing for an old bike like this I also found this one down the street ..well next town over He wants 125 for !!
http://providence.craigslist.org/for/3936329966.html
Can anyone tell me what this one is and if it's worth the buck 25?

If not for my own personal use , there are people out there shorter than me . I had visions of painting it all flat black like a charcoal look but it still has the original pinstriping on it and I just could never bring myself to paint over that

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Yes I always loved the western flyer bikes, one of my uncles owned a little western auto store in a small town call Ranger Texas , my first bikes were western flyers and I still have a western flyer BMX frame I plan to do something with eventually , it aint nearly as cool as the old cruiser bike at all but it was my first bmx style bike and I sold bottles cans and pecans I picked up just so i'd have the $99 it cost to buy that bike in 1981, many fond memories of the western flyer bikes and thos eawesome trip to the weztern auto store when I was a kid.
I remember the go carts Western Auto use to have when I was a kid in Brownsville Texas. I would stand there just drooling over them I remember thinking If I just had that gokart I could go anyplace in the WORLD on it!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I do want it in a bad way .. I just do not want to give up my Schwinn for it ! I get attached to my bikes

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I do want it in a bad way .. I just do not want to give up my Schwinn for it ! I get attached to my bikes
Yeah but just think how attatched you'll be to a great classic like the old western flyer........!
Bike like the other one you have are a dime a dozen so to speak but how many of the classic awesome to motorize bikes do you find laying around in that condition, no way I'd pass that deal up unless I just. Flat out couldnt afford it......

And those solid steel forks would be a plus to me, you can weld any kind of brake hardware you'd ever want to those forks easy......they may be a bit heavy but they're tough as a truck.....

Dang you're a long way from your Texas roots jumpa...........!

Hope you get the bike and when I have time I'll check out the bike in link you posted.

Peace, mapbrnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just looked at the old AMF heck yeah I'd pop on that one to.......probably hand the fella a crisp $100 bill and go home with that one...... dang why cant I find those kinda bike around here........
Weather is so good here most of the year that bike just get wore out and not stored up as much long term like up in the colder parts of the country I guess..... hard to find the old bike around here and normally all you might find is a rusting old frame or something now and then.

Yep I'd go up there and jumpa all over that deal......lol!

Map

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
"I'd POP on that one" ..you sound like Wolf on "American pickers!!" On those forks they seem kind of flimsy to me.

I guess I'm just use to working with much larger steel in he well drilling industry ..then again they are facing the right way for maximum strength

Did you see a light generator on that AMF? I need a 12 volt one of those to feed my 12 v battery i'm tired of taking it out to charge it every 4 or 5 days !

I'm also hooking up a loud ass car or truck horn ..this "ding ding thing" just isn't cutting it for the "whiteheads or Q-tips" if you will... around here!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
no texas roots I was born in Plymouth Ma. Our father moved us down to Texas in 1976 when I was 9.
He got a job working on oil rigs in the gulf
Then as soon as i turned 17 I came back to my roots in Plymouth and ironiclly got a job drilling wells that i held onto for over 25 years

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Lol..... yeah I said pop on it to keep things short, normally I'd say" if it were me I'd head up that way and get that sucker bought" just never really thought about that American Pickers fella but now that you mention it he does say that......lol!

Well you spent enough time here to enjoy some of the hot cazy weather we have sometime and some real TexMex cooking ill bet, sound like your doing something you enjoy so thats a good thing when you can do things you like to do and make a living while doing it.

Those forks will probably flex more than tubing but I bet there plenty tough for a bike, all the ones I ever saw seems.ed plenty strong.

Map

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
YEA I ENJOYED IT RIGHT UP TILL I BROKE MY BACK AND GOT DIAGNOSED WITH C.O.P.D.
sad thing is I cant do it any longer.
oh yea Ii spent plenty of time down there to enjoy the food stuff like real enchilada's ,burritos , menudo. good food

Last edited: