not a cranny anymore ("03 Rambler" update!)

GoldenMotor.com

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
in her current well-running state, i've finally gotten rid of the flimsy fenders, and the ammo crate/rear rack which added too much weight. added the new brown balloon tires, and finally secured that drum brake arm in place. wrapped the handlebars with black bar tape, and sprayed chrome parts (except rims) with a clear matte finish to dull the shine. also scrapped the craftsman battery rig i had for the lights, and ordered some 9.6v rechargeable RC car batteries. now need to find something perfect that i can fit inside the seat loop where i can wire the battery and switches for the headlight/taillight. (any ideas?)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looking good. I'm thinking a piece of double capped, painted pvc for your batteries and whatnots, eh? Or there's larger copper pipe that would look slick in those huge springs.

gl.

Redbeard1204

Jun 18, 2011
United States
Great lookin' bike you have there. I agree with killercanuck, a bit of pvc pipe would be cheap and weather resistant, easy to modify, etc. Although, one of those leather wine bottle cases would look pretty sweet. And it would give you a little stash for tools, papers, etc...

Hey, where'd you get that saddle by the way?

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
SO! ended up finding an old blueprint carrying tube from the 40's maybe? it's just thin steel, with a cap that comes off. so i chopped it down, cut it down the center, and with a little JB weld, got myself a nicely sized compartment. turns out PVC and other piping were in between sized just enough for me to make it NOT work. gotta say i love the rust look of it, but i might hit it with primer brown to clean it up. getting the new battery in tomorrow so i can finish up the wiring! OH and the seat came from choppersus.com!