First motorized bike for city use

GoldenMotor.com

RedWagon

Feb 26, 2011
KY
I'm looking to put together a motorized cruiser for driving around the city and figured I should ask here before making my first purchase.

Bike:
26'' Micargi Rover GX Men's Beach Cruiser Bicycle - BikeBerry.com
Engine kit:
Black Grubee SkyHawk Angle Fire 80cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified BikeBerry.com
Extra brakes:
Nashbar Mechanical Mountain Bike Disc Brake Set : Deals & Discounts on Bike Disc Brakes From Nashbar

I plan on adding a disc brake to the front for some extra stopping power and also because having a single point of failure on something as crucial as brakes makes me nervous.

I really like the simplicity of just having a single gear but was wondering if this would be problematic trying to get up to speed to start the motor.

Just wanted to stop by and post this to make sure there's nothing big I'm overlooking/should be aware of.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Most people have no problem pedal starting the motor on a single speed.
Your motor bike choices sound good to me.
The Micargi Falcon has little space in the frame for a motor, but the Rover should have plenty.
A front disk brake is a good idea for emergency stops in the "Cold Kentucky Rain".
You will need a disk brake compatible front fork and hub, unless you do some fab work or buy an adaptor kit from a vendor like Venice Motors.