any low RPM 4-stroke engines suitable for bike mounting?

GoldenMotor.com

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
That is definitely what I am starting to find out. But the style of the early single cylinder board track racers are just so dang beautiful. :) I have a few ideas on how to attach a gear reduction and keep the overall style queues I like. I am definitely still looking for the elusive slow-speed engine, but my search is already back into the 1940s and 1950s for something usable.

andy b.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not terribly important but the slower revving engines sound so dang cool.

Dunno if you have ever heard of "one lunger" or "Make and brake" engines. Can also be called "Hit and mis" Would make a really cool MB engine. Is very slow revving but has a huge flywheel.

Hit-and-miss engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

one lunger engines - Google Search

Would be a big undertaking but lots of hobbyists and enthusiasts. So could find lots of info. I read an article a while back on converting a modern engine into one. If you do this Andy, please post! Would be one of the coolest builds ever.

"The sound made when the engine is running is a distinctive "POP whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh POP" as the engine fires and then coasts until the speed decreases and needs to fire again to maintain its average speed."

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
Dan,

You could say I am familiar with hit-n-miss engines. ;) Here is the pump arrangement used to water my vegetable garden:

It's an old Fairbanks-Morse 2HP engine from around 1927 or so. A vertical one would be cool in a bike, except for the fact they are all cast iron and weigh several hundred pounds. Harley got around some of the issue by using an aluminum crankcase. An hit-n-miss engine would never "miss" when powering a bicycle because the load would slow the engine enough that it would fire on every cycle. Except when going down a hill, which could save some fuel if you have a lot of hills.

One cool thing on the old h-n-m engines is that they only have one pushrod to operate the exhaust valve. The intake is opened by the vacuum created when the piston goes from top dead center to bottom dead center (they are referred to as atmospheric valves). And that is exactly how the first Harley engines worked (they were throttle-controlled though, not h-n-m). The Harley engines were only about 3HP and also set a fuel economy record of something like 180 mpg.

andy b.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Andy. Must be great sitting in the yard listening to her going. Didn't know that about Harleys. They did some amazing and ground breaking stuff

Bummer it won't work on a MB. Found some interesting reading on converting. convert an engine to hit and mis - Google Search Might keep this thought. Be a really cool parade type of build.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Andy

That Engine On Your Water Pump Made Me Smile. It Reminded Me Of Many Years Ago When My Grandfather Had One On The Windmill On The Wis Dairy Farm (for The Day`s The Wind Didn`t Come To Work).

I Think His Engine Was A "Hercules".

My First Motorbike 61 Yrs Ago, Had A 3/4 Hp Briggs & Straton. It Had The Intake "pop-it Valve". Bought A Whizzer Rear Pulley/sheave For $3.25 If My Memory Is Correct. It Was Direct Drive, Push To Start And Jump On.

Here is a couple pic`s of the exact motor I had all those yrs ago. It seems I can still smell the dirt roads.

Good Luck With Your Build, Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That was awesome to read Ron. Snap shot of personal history.Can see where you got your humor and good cheer.

That engine is great! the springs, funky muffler, cooling fins at an angle. What is the second muffler looking thing? Intake? Great looking engine and hope to see her bike some day or filling in for wind that didn't come into work.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
Ron,

That engine is a beauty!!!!! What is it, an old Briggs F or FI or something? If I could find one of them in decent shape with all of the pieces I'd possibly use it for a bike. I have a few old Briggs 5S engines, but they look more similar to a small modern Briggs. No exposed rocker arms or anything.

andy b.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Andy

The Motor Evan Just Posted Would Be Great.

A Member Posted The Pic`s Of My Old 3/4 Horse Power, Not Long Ago. I Was So Happy To Copy Them. Never Thought I Would Find A Pic.

Don
That Is An Air Cleaner On The Top Of The Long Intake Tube. At The Bottom You Can See The Little Washer Type Choke Knob!! I Just Put My Thumb On Top Of The Tube To Choke It. Notice That Tiny Carb!! The Gas Tank Is The Cast Iron Base.

Cost 4 Large Copper Pennies To Fill It. I Would Put The Front Bike Wheel Up On The Raised Pump Island To Get The Extra 1/2 Cent`s Worth Of Gas, That Smelled Good = Back In The Good Ole Days = For Some Thing`s ! Lol

Did Not Have A Muffler On Mine, Just A 4 Inch Pipe Nipple Screwed Into The Head, At Night The Blue Flame Looked So Neat!

Evan
Sorry To Get Off Track On Your Thread. You Are A Great Asset To Us And Sure Build A "lot" Of Awsum Stuff For Us Addict`s!!

I need to take a nap so I can cheer properly for Carl Edwards this evening. He is such a man, if I was a faggot, I would be all over him!! (read carefully! it `s humor! Dan - quit looking at me like that!!)

Ron .cvlt1