Bike w/gears in hub of rear axel. Engine kit do-able?

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Rear axel hub has internal gears. Do-able?

Just ordered a Grubee 66cc 2-stroke kit and now I'm wondering if it'll even fit my bike. I got an Electra rat rod and it's a three speed cruiser but the gears are in the rear hub. There's no moving of the chain when you switch gears. Is this setup compatible with the Chinese 2-stroke kits? If not does a shifter kit do the job or should I just pick up a different bike? Thanks

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Re: Rear axel hub has internal gears. Do-able?

I don't see why a 3 speed hub wouldn't work as long as you can fit the new sprocket on the hub's off side. The problem might be that the hub's diameter is greater than the hole spacing on the new sprocket. Worse come to worst you should be able to find another rear wheel rather than needing to replace the whole bike.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Just bought a grubee 66cc engine kit. After reading the post "which engine kit is best" at the top
I feel stupid. But I ordered it and it's shipped so can't wait. The problem is I'm not sure if it's gonna even work with my bike. I got an Electra "rat rod" 3-speed cruiser. The gears are in the hub of the rear axel and it doesn't look like the engine setup will link up with it. Am I trippin? Will this work and if it doesn't work would a shift kit do the job? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii

Sanks. And if out does fit would those gears still work? I would basically have what a shift kit does right, allow for gears?

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
And if it does would my gears essentially still work? Which is the purpose of a shift kit, right? And what's the consensus on having to install handbrakes or if the "back-pedal" style brakes would suffice. Thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you don't get a shift kit then your gears are basically useless, unless you like pedaling.

with a shift kit, you can use the gears with the motor.

a front brake or a rear caliper or other set up is a good idea, just because you can stop faster. i've run a coaster brake only on a few bikes, and it was fine, but you gotta pay more attention, 'cause it takes longer to stop.

and with a coaster, if you break your chain, you have no brakes at all.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yep - 'cept another lil detail, should you get a shift kit a coaster brake will not work as there's a freewheel bearing for the front sprockets (backpedaling does nufin') ;)

...well, other than a cool clicky noise heh

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia

the standard kit will drive the left side of the back wheel. to use your gears with your engine you need a shift kit or custom set up to change drive to the right hand side of your wheel.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Thanks for the help. Would the three speed cruiser even be worth getting a shift kit for? Like would it get going faster in the third gear than
it would just ordinary left sprocket hook-up? Thanks again.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Mo, 2 Gears Is Better Than One, 3 Is Better Than 2. I Really Enjoy My 6 Speed With Sbp Shifter Parts. I Don`t Use 6 Gear Much Because Then My Chains Rub Each Other. Pablo Or Ghost At Sbp Can Help You With The Crank Sprockets Best For Your Build. The Stuff Can Always Be Transfered To Another Bike. Bikes Are So Cheap On Craigslist, A Lot Of Good Buys. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I don't think the Sturmey Archer three speed type hub could take the stress of an engine driving the geared sprocket. It wouldn't hurt the three speed transmission if your engine was driving an add on sprocket on the opposite side but attaching a sprocket might be a problem. The shifters I've seen all depend on having a derailleur on the rear wheel. That puts all the stress from the chain onto the freewheel which isn't as complex or delicate as the three speed hub.