Ah FLIP.....ruint my favorite engine...

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My race mule....it had a very peppy 67cc.....it goes like this:

High compression head, perfed breathing, etc....but want to install a pull start for R&D (and lazy boy) reasons....so I install the new medium extra long BB cartridge. All goes well. Not TOO wide, but perfect clearance for the pull start and pipe on the right. YAY!!! (we will have this new custom cartridge on our site)

So now install the pull start, easy pie.......not so fast compacho.....scrap......the moving catch peice hits the magneto coil mount screws...junky junk........remove one screw at a time, take a little off, take a washer out....still minor contact.....but OK now solved.....and one last turn of the nut............bliiiirrrrpppp........AH SCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My shaft is stripped. Oh I was warned....I knew better.......

So I backed it off, pulled the rotating catch piece off.....some OK threads deeper, maybe a couple...the nut sorta locked down now...poopoo

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
seems every time i read a thread about the 2 stroke pull start kits , its always the same problem , obviously its a flawed design .

maybe there should be a ( sticky ) warning about these kits , with a good mod ( with good pics ) to fix the things before installing them , so more people don,t wreck their engines .

why is it these bolt on things NEVER just bolt on , the way they are supposed to .

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
If you can get your hands on the updated pull starts that Boygofast sells, that would really be a treat to me.

One thing they don't tell you about those pull starts is that you have to grind off a little metal off that spinner cup thing. Also, it helps to take just a smidjin of meat off those magneto screws, so it can spin freely.

That main nut should also be replaced as well.

I've heard that the engines that already come with a pull start have a longer shaft so they won't have these types of problems, but that's only what I've heard.

I think as long as the buyer knows what he/she must do to make it work correctly, you should have no problem selling them. Or better yet, maybe you can find someone to make a replacement part for it to upgrade it even more.

I love a pull start and will always have one!

.wee.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I've had two pull-starters from two different sellers...It was a year ago, and I don't remember who I got them from...But I do remember:

One had a die cast piece that attached to the crank...The other was stamped sheet metal.

The stamped sheet metal design worked perfect.

The cast one had, major, interference problems on the engine I was going to mount it on.

Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Jim that's so funny. Jim (Ghost0) was just saying how easy it would be to stamp one out. Yeah the cast piece was real.......real special.......

We will come up with an improved pull start.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Does anyone know if someone has used an old lawnboy engine,the older green 2 cycles?

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Darn Pablo

Sorry for your bad luck.
I ran into the same problem some time ago
when I was installing a pull start,(cast) from
Zoom onto A PK 69er.
I posted about it somewhere.

What I found was that it would rub the mag.
and the lock washer would not leave me enough threds on the
crank to get the nut started!

What I did was get a star lock washer and put it between
the mag. and cast pully thingie,
which gave enough clearance so it would not rub,(with no grinding of screws).
It also left me enough threads on the crank to put the nut on,With a little blue locktight.
No lock washer. As I tightened the nut it compressed the star washer enough to snug up
real good and tight with a few turns on the threds of the crank.

Maybe you could chase the crank threds with a die going down 1 size to save it
and still do the same mod as I did ?

Good luck...POPS (Rick)