Project Incognito

GoldenMotor.com

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Yea but how about the noise? It would be tough to hide a big muffler very well.

------

As much as I prefer the gas setups, I have to agree with the e-bike enthusiasts who point out that if you live in "hostile" territory, it's a lot easier to hide an e-bike than any gas engine. Most police don't know anything about any kinds of motorized bikes (other than they're illegal or not) but everybody knows what a piston engine sounds like. And making even a small piston engine nearly silent is not an easy task.

Good luck anyway, you scoundrel..... ;)
~

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
The best part is the challenge! I think I'm more interested in building this thing stealthier each day than actually riding it! This thing sounds like an electric bike if I'm not on the throttle or if I'm not doing over 20mph...thanks to the loud tensioner hiding the pop of the muffler, it sounds more mechanical than combustive at cruising speeds. The exhaust plume is a give away when its cold out though. I'll be working on it...

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I haven't been able to observe this yet, but have heard that the convoluted shape of electrical (all metal) conduit or gas stove hook-up pipe is a very good muffler.
I am doing this on my E-bike( with the gas engine and alternator) for both the exhaust(after the muffler) and intake (plastic convoluted split wire loom for the intake - going to an air cleaner canister, in my case)
. Haven't run it yet with this stuff on. But the principle seems to be like the chambered off road pipes on the old Corvette I had a long time ago.
Actually, the two stroke should be able to be made quieter than a 4 stroke because there is no valve train noise.
Paul- I think we are going the same direction- max stealth. Kind of like a challenge to see just how quiet we can get.
I want to be thought of as just another bicyclist.

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
I was actually thinking about constructing an insulated air box in the area between the panels with a k&n filter that I already have from my motorcycle...(an extra one, I'm not stripping things off my motorcycle!) I dont have my bike with me today or I would measure the outward end of the muffler to see what diameter it is and maybe grab a scrap of conduit from work here. I'm on a mission to try that on my exhaust after work. I'll let you know what I find out.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
california sunshine makes it 75 degrees in the wintertime. so we could ride to downtown and park at the cop shop legally. In NY and in Cold Temps a little extra heat is fine. If mufflers could be used to pre heat the smoky exaust it may act like a Cat Converter and burn off more of the smoke.
if you leaned out the mix a bit it would be ok in cold temps too I think heat is our enemy in California not New York

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
As far as I know, the mufflers are acually designed that way with a catalytic core. I don't get mush as far as smoke...it's mainly because of the cold air showing the vapor come out of the pipe.

I will see what the plug looks like tonight after a nice ride and see if Im running rich with 20degree weather. If so I may have to lean it during the winter.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I run an electric chopper as well I got it on ebay for 150 in 08 it now runs a front hub motor that should be legal anywhere You could mount one on your bike to fool the cops with it gos 35 on the flat and has need of four 12v batterys that can be placed on a rack in the back and the kit includes a rack a black box a thumb throttle and the front hub three phase motor all for under 300 bucks at campsolutions,com a USA based seller lol

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I wanted to build side covers like that,but i dont see many cops if any at all and they never bother me at all,plus my legs seem to cover the engine and its still looks like a bicycle(a really nice bike,but still a bike).The cops have plenty of people in cars to pull over and keep them busy. It doesnt matter how much noise my bike makes cause nobody around me even cares. its not very loud compared to lawnmowers or other cars on the road. how come theres no smoke or steam coming out of my muffler when engine is running on cold days,cause its very cold up here. i do have a black cat muffler.

if youre putting side covers on your bike you should put some vents for using it during the summer. dont forget a electric bike sticker on the panels.

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
Nougat-as far as "slightly compressed air"...no difference in performance. You'd have to have considerably more pressure than wind or air flowing by the jugs to make any difference in performance.

After puting these panels on there was no change in any aspect except it could motor sound down about 25%...otherwise it runs like champ and runs cooler than my motorcycle (which is also air cooled).

As far as fooling cops or anything of that sort...I know most of the police in my town (because I drive towtruck on weekends and pick up all their traffic stops and accident scenes that need recovery). So the desire to make it stealthy is more for fun than to fool anyone. Its nice to be able to be out without drawing attention to yourself, cops or civilians. My biggest fear is that some young kids in my area start riding these motorized bikes all over town and make it an issue!